Welcome to UBC! Our vision in Human Resources is to enable people excellence in the UBC workplace through supporting the faculty and staff, and ultimately students, at one of the world’s best universities for research, education, and community engagement. I encourage you to connect with us and learn about the services and supports we offer to faculty and staff (including leaders and administrators), and to the community.
UBC is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s entrepreneurial spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. UBC encourages its students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking has a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
UBC has two main campuses (Vancouver and Kelowna), with nearly 16,000 employees working in British Columbia, making us one of the largest employers in the province.
In HR, we foster an atmosphere of respect, professionalism, and collegiality that serves as the foundation for an outstanding work environment at UBC.
HR provides a wide range of services within our portfolios, all with the goal of actively attracting, engaging, retaining, and developing employees. We work closely with our partners in departments and faculties across UBC to understand their needs for strategic human resources support in order to provide excellence in research, teaching, and student experiences. By embracing innovation, collaboration and inclusion in HR policies, practices, partnerships and relationships, we actively support UBC’s strategic vision and plan.
We invite you to learn about HR and how we support equity, diversity & inclusion, wellbeing, recruitment, learning and leadership, employee engagement, workplace health, career development, housing and relocation, stakeholder relationships, and benefits and pensions. If you can’t find what you’re looking for on our website, please call our Service Centre at 604-822-8111, and our staff will be happy to help answer your questions.
-Barbara Meens Thistle
UBC staff & faculty by the numbers
- Number of employees: 16,089
- Vancouver: 4,975 faculty, 9,959 staff
- Okanagan: 496 faculty, 659 staff
- 27% of staff at UBC are under the age of 35, while 33% are 55 or older.
- Number of new hires in 2016: 87 new faculty, 1,563 new staff
- 65% of our new staff hires were under the age of 35
Learning & leadership
- In 2016-17, over 4,000 faculty and staff accessed professional development funding to pursue learning opportunities.
- 611 staff and faculty took part in Vancouver PD workshops in 2016-17.
Wellbeing & workplace health
- 4,682 people took part in health and wellbeing outreach programs at Vancouver and the Okanagan campus.
- 238 people had a health assessment done at our Travelling Health Fair and Healthy Measures Fair, as part of improving their personal health outcomes.
- 596 participants took part in Staff & Faculty Sports Day, enjoying physical and mental challenges with their colleagues.