Members of the Faculty Association
Salary increases and other economic benefits are negotiated annually by the Faculty Association for all members of the Association. These increases are normally effective July 1. The current collective agreement is for 2014-2016. For details on the salary increases please see Faculty Salary Increases Implementation Process below.
Salary Increases for Full-Time Members
All full-time academic ranks (Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Instructor I, Instructor II, Senior Instructor, Professor of Teaching), 12-month Lecturers, Librarians and Program Directors are eligible for negotiated salary increases. Increases may include a general wage increase and amounts for the Career Advancement Plan, which includes Career Progress, Merit and Performance Salary Adjustment (a provision for redressing anomalies and inequities).
Salary Increases for Part-Time Members and Sessional Lecturers
All part-time members of the Faculty Association are eligible for negotiated salary increases. Normally the increase is an “across the board” general wage increase.
Implementation of the 2014 General Wage Increase (GWI) & 2015 GWI, CPI, Merit & PSA
Due to the number of increases to be processed and the complexity of each the anticipated timing of the increases in 2016 are as follows:
- 2014 GWI for regular Faculty – July 31stst paycheque
- 2014 GWI for Sessional Lecturers – August 15th paycheque
- 2015 GWI for Sessional Lecturers – August 31st paycheque
- 1% lump sum for Sessional Lecturers – September 30th paycheque
- 2015 GWI & PTR for regular Faculty – November 30th paycheque
- 1% lump sum for regular faculty December 15th paycheque
Should any unanticipated issues arise this will affect the timing of the increases and so the dates could change. Career Progress (CPI), Merit & Performance Salary Adjustment (PSA) are collectively referred to as PTR – Progress Through the Ranks.
Salary Increase Components
- General Wage Increase (2014-2% & 2015-2%)
- Career Progress Increments
- Market Adjustments (not currently in place)
- Merit and Performance Salary Adjustment (PSA)
- Length of Service CP Awards
- Lump Sum Payment
Tools for Administrators
- Faculty Salary Increase Process-2016 October (PDF) – updated Oct 2016
- Increase Spreadsheet Checklist (DOC)
- Increase Spreadsheet Instructions
- Sample Increase Spreadsheets (PDF)
- Increase Overview Timeline (DOC)
- Process Map (PDF) – based on processing increases on time effective July 1
- Merit-PSA Summary Spreadsheet (XLS)
- Merit-PSA Summary Spreadsheet Sample (XLS)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Manual Increase Forms: complete the Excel document and email as such to Nicole Hyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty Members Covered Only By UBC Policy
- Increases may be made at any time, subject to funding availability and the approval of the supervisor, Head and Dean.