Accidents in the Workplace

If you are injured at work, you must report the accident within 24 hours to both your supervisor and electronically through the UBC Centralized Accident/Incident Reporting System. You may also need to seek medical attention or file a claim with WorkSafeBC.

Our team at Workplace Health Services is here to help. We will coordinate any WorkSafeBC claims for your work-related injury or illness. We will also provide you with any support services you may need to help you return to productive and safe work duties.

Learn more about how Workplace Health Services can help you after a work-related injury or illness.

Call 9-1-1 and contact Safety & Risk Services at 604-822-2029 for serious accidents that:

  • result in serious injury or death,
  • involve an explosion or major structural failure,
  • involve the major release of a hazardous substance,
  • involve a fire or explosion that had potential for causing serious injury to a worker,
  • involve a diving accident, or
  • involve a blasting accident.

Offer immediate assistance to anyone who is injured. Try not to disturb the location of the accident beyond what is required to provide assistance or prevent harm to other individuals or the environment.

After a serious incident, investigators will want to determine what caused the accident. It is important to not disturb or alter the incident site so that a thorough investigation can be completed.

Learn more about accident investigations.

What to do if you are injured at work

See UBC Safety & Risk Services for detailed instructions on the steps to take if you are injured or ill as a result of a work-related accident. Click on the relevant link below for more information.

Exposed to human blood or body fluid?

Injured? Seek first aid

  • If you are on the Point Grey campus, contact the campus mobile first aid at 604-822-4444.
  • If you are on the Okanagan campus, contact Campus Security at 250-807-8111 (for emergencies) or 250-807-9236 (for non-emergencies).
  • The first aid attendant will complete a first aid record and will submit or upload the form as required.

Immediately inform your supervisor or department administrator

Let your supervisor or department administrator know that you have been injured so that he or she can complete the online UBC Centralized Accident/Incident Reporting form.

Seek medical attention and let your doctor know your injury/illness is work related.

Contact WorkSafeBC if needed

You will need to contact WorkSafeBC directly to register your application for compensation if you have seen a doctor or have missed time from work due to your work-related injury or illness:

As required by the Workers Compensation Act, WorkSafeBC provides rehabilitation, compensation, health-care benefits and services to workers who are injured or ill because of a workplace incident.

Learn more about how Workplace Health Services can help with the WorkSafeBC claims process.