Research Associates Professional Development Fund

Funding is available to support the professional development of Research Associates at UBC. For the purposes of this funding program, professional development is defined as those learning activities that enhance the knowledge, performance or career progression of a Research Associate’s work at the University.

Claim Form | Faculty & Staff Self-Service |

Claim Submission Update:

updated April 1, 2020

Current Funding Year: 2020-21 (April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021)

Maximum Yearly Claim Amount: The maximum claim amount for eligible staff is $1,000 for the  current funding year.

Status RA PD Fund: Opened April 1, 2020. Due to COVID-19, claims will be temporarily accepted by email until further notice. Please see notice below.

Previous Two Year Funding Cycle : The 2018-20 funding cycle ended on March 31, 2020 and all individual balances have expired for this previous funding cycle.

If you have recently made a submission to the fund, you can monitor the status of your claim through the Faculty & Staff Self-Service portal. Claim details are provided via the “Staff PD” tab


Important Notice: As of April 1, 2020 the RA PD Fund has transitioned from a 2-year funding cycle to a 1-year funding cycle. New administrative guidelines include:

  • The one-year funding cycle aligns with the UBC fiscal year of April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021.
  • The annual maximum amount per year is $1,000.
  • PD expense claims must be submitted to  Human Resources within 60 days of the PD activity payment date to be eligible for funding


How To Apply and Submit a Claim

COVID-19 related temporary measure: Submit your PD claim by email.  Please follow these temporary instructions to submit your claim to 

  1. Log in to the Faculty & Staff Self Service portal to confirm your eligibility and the available PD Fund amount. Click on the “Staff PD” tab to view your PD Fund details.
  2. Discuss your learning plans with your manager and arrange time off to attend if applicable.
  3. Register and pay for your learning activity, resource or associated out-of-town travel.
  4. Complete a  PD Expense Claim form and attach the original proof of payment and other required back-up documentation described on the claim form. The form requires your supervisor’s signature of authorization.
  5. Submit your claim in paper copy to Human Resources within 60 days of the original payment date.
  6. You will receive your reimbursement payment by direct deposit or department reimbursement by JV transfer, depending on your selection on the claim form.

Claim Submissions Mailing Address:

Human Resources – Staff PD Funds
600 – 6190 Agronomy Road, TEF 3
UBC, Vancouver Campus, V6T 1Z3 (MAP)

We require your original claim forms and receipts.  Please do not email your claim reimbursement form to us.


Purpose of the Professional Development Fund

This professional development fund can be used towards learning activities that enhance your current role-related knowledge, skills, and performance or contributes to your ongoing career development and advancement at UBC.

Please note that the PD Funds do not cover ongoing job-required professional memberships/accreditation dues or job-required training or travel expenses. These expenses should continue to be paid by your department.

Eligible professional development activities may include:

  • registration fees for individual courses, seminars, workshops, exams and webinars;
  • tuition and materials for professional programs, certifications, diplomas and degrees offered at academic institutions or professional organizations. Academic student fees are not eligible expenses.
  • books, journals and subscriptions;
  • one-on-one job/career coaching fees when provided by an ICF – credentialed coach;
  • professional association or membership dues when of benefit to UBC but not as required as a condition of employment for your current position;
  • conference registration fees;
  • out-of-town travel expenses associated with conferences or specialized training opportunities not available locally as per Policy FM8 – Business Expenses (formerly Policy #83) and related documents.

Ineligible expenses include, but are not limited to:

  • Local travel expenses or meals;
  • Academic student fees;
  • Phone, data or internet plans for any electronic device;
  • Application software or licensing (however training to learn how to use the software is an eligible expense);
  • Laptops, mobile phones, e-readers, tablets or office equipment

If you are not sure whether a proposed PD expense is eligible for funding, please contact Human Resources at before making a financial commitment and submitting a claim.

Eligibility and Maximum Yearly Amount

Eligibility: All Research Associates (RAs) in paid appointments are eligible to access this funding program. Honorary Research Associates are not eligible.

Maximum Claim Amount: You will be reimbursed up to a maximum claim amount of $1,000 each funding year (April 1 through March 31) for eligible PD expenses.

To confirm your eligibility and available amount, login to Faculty & Staff Self Service and click on the top right “Staff PD” tab to view your PD Fund details.

If you have an unused individual balance at year-end, it will not roll over into the next fiscal year.

Leave of Absence: You are eligible for funding during a maternity, parental or adoptive leave. Eligibility during other leaves of absence will be considered by Human Resources on a case-by-case basis.

End of Employment: If your employment with the university is ending – either voluntarily or involuntarily – you are not eligible for funding once you have given notice of resignation or received a notice of termination.

Funding Year & Claim Submission Period

Your PD Funds are now available on a one year cycle based on the UBC fiscal-year. The current funding year runs April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021.

You must submit your PD expense claims to Human Resources within 60 days of the PD activity payment date, in order for an expense to be considered eligible for funding.

We allocate your claim amount to the fiscal year in which your claim is submitted, not the activity start date. You are welcome to submit your claim prior to the start of your activity.

Claim Reimbursements

Reimbursement processing:

Please allow up to two weeks for us to review your claim and process the reimbursement, which will be paid by direct deposit to you or journal voucher transfer to your department’s general ledger, depending on the option you selected on the PD Expense Claim form. Incomplete claims cannot be processed.

Non-taxable status of fund reimbursements:

The funding provided through this program is non-taxable and not included on your T4 slip. This means that you cannot claim the value of any funds received through this program as part of a tuition tax credit or for any other credit on their annual tax return. Please refer to Canada Revenue Agency – Eligible Tuition Fees for more information.

Cancellations and Refunds: If you have been reimbursed for a PD activity but subsequently have to cancel your participation, you must notify the PD Funds Program, Human Resources and reimburse UBC for the money received. You can make a special written request for alternative arrangements if there were extenuating circumstances that prevented you from attending the PD activity.

Fund Administration

The fund is centrally administered by UBC Human Resources at the Vancouver campus. Your PD Fund has a set pool of money for each fiscal year; funding comes from a centrally budgeted source and your use of the PD Funds will not be charged back to your unit or department.

Funding is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If all of the funding within the PD Fund pool is utilized in any given year, Human Resources will stop processing claims for that fund until the next fiscal year.

Fund usage will be reviewed on an annual basis, and the maximum annual claim amount may be adjusted from time to time to ensure an equitable distribution of this pool of money.

If you have general questions about this fund or your eligibility, please contact our Workplace Learning Associate in Human Resources  at .