Funding is available to support professional development for Management and Professional staff at UBC.
For the purposes of this funding program “professional development” is defined as those activities that enhance the knowledge, performance or career progression of an employee’s work at the University.
Claim Submission Update:
updated April 1, 2020
Current Funding Year: 2020-21 (April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021)
Maximum Yearly Claim Amount: The maximum claim amount for eligible staff is $550 for the current funding year. This maximum amount is prorated if you work less than 50% part-time hours.
Status of M&P PD Fund: Opened April 1, 2020. Due to COVID-19, claims will be temporarily accepted by email until further notice. Please see notice below.
You can access funding for your professional development activities regardless of the fiscal or calendar year they take place. Receipts must be submitted within 60 days of purchase to be eligible for reimbursement.
If you have recently made a submission to the fund, you can monitor the status of your claim through the Faculty & Staff Self-Service portal. Claim details are provided via the “Staff PD” tab .
Previous Funding Year: The 2019-20 funding year ended on March 31, 2020 and all individual balances have expired for this previous funding year.
How to Apply for PD Funding Reimbursement
- confirm your M&P PD Fund eligibility and available balance in Faculty & Staff Self Service (Click the “staff PD ” tab to view your funding details);
- review the Guidelines for M&P PD Fund (PDF);
- pay upfront for your eligible PD activity or arrange to have your department pay upfront on your behalf;
- complete the M&P PD Fund Expense Claim Form
- attach receipts & required supporting documentation as described on the claim form;
send or drop off the completed claim form by UBC campus mailwithin 60 days of your PD activity purchase date to: Human Resources – Staff PD Funds
600 – 6190 Agronomy Road, TEF 3, UBC
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3 (MAP) We require your original signed claim forms and receipts. Emailed claims forms are not accepted.
Eligibility and Maximum Yearly Amount
Eligible Staff: Management and Professional (M&P) staff, with AAPS membership, are eligible to apply. This funding is non-transferable.
Maximum Claim Amount: You will be reimbursed up to a maximum claim amount of $550 each funding year (April 1 through March 31). This maximum amount is pro-rated if you work less than 50% full- time.
Individual funding requests are approved on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to the availability of the budgeted funds each UBC fiscal year. If overall funding is exhausted in any one year, employees will be notified that no further applications will be approved until the fund renewal in the following UBC fiscal year.
Please note: The fund typically runs out of money before the end of the fiscal year (usually February).
Leave of Absence: You are eligible for funding during a maternity, parental or adoptive leave. Eligibility during other leaves of absence will be considered by Human Resources on a case-by-case basis.
End of Employment: If your employment with the university is ending – either voluntarily or involuntarily – you are not eligible for funding once you have given notice of resignation or received a notice of termination. If you receive notice that your employment will be ending but you are in a period of working notice, you will remain eligible for funding during the notice period.
When to Apply
PD Expense claims are eligible for submission to the M&P PD Fund as soon as the upfront payment has been made and must include receipts & any supplemental documentation required as described on the PD Expense claim form.
Claims must be submitted to Human Resources within 60 days of the original PD expense date of payment.
Claimed expenses must be related to professional development activities that enhance the knowledge, performance or career progression of your work at the University. The PD Fund may not be accessed for any other purpose.
Eligible professional development activities may include:
- registration fees for individual courses, seminars, workshops, exams, and webinars;
- tuition and materials for professional programs, certifications, diplomas, and degrees offered at academic institutions or professional organizations. Note: Academic student fees are not eligible expenses.
- books, journals, and subscriptions;
- one-on-one job/career coaching fees when provided by an ICF – credentialed coach;
- professional association or membership dues when of benefit to UBC but not as required as a condition of employment for your current position;
- conference registration fees;
- out-of-town travel expenses associated with conferences and other learning opportunities not available locally as per Policy FM8 – Business Expenses (formerly Policy #83) and related documents.
Ineligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- local travel expenses or meals;
- academic student fees;
- phone, data or internet plans for any electronic device;
- application software or licensing fees (however training to learn how to use the software is an eligible expense);
- electronic equipment including laptops, mobile phones, e-readers, tablets;
- office equipment or supplies;
For UBC courses or programs also eligible under the tuition waiver benefit, we request that you maximize your waiver benefit prior to claiming top-up support from this PD Fund.
If you are not sure whether a proposed PD expense is eligible for funding, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org before making a financial commitment and submitting a claim.
Important Notes for Authorizing Managers and Applicants:
The M&P PD Fund does not cover job required professional memberships or training expenses. Please do not submit these expenses for M&P PD Funding support. Please refer to M&P PD Guideline 2.10.
Coaching Sessions: To qualify for M&P PD Funding support, coaching sessions must be provided by an ICF Certified Coach. The preferred level of certification is Professional Certified Coach (PCC) or above.
Please allow up to two weeks for us to review your claim and process the reimbursement, which will be paid by direct deposit to you or journal voucher transfer to your department’s general ledger, depending on the option you selected on the PD Expense Claim form. Incomplete claims cannot be processed.
Non-taxable status of fund reimbursements:
The funding provided to you through this program is non-taxable and not included on your T4 slip. This means that you cannot claim the value of any funds received through this program as part of a tuition tax credit or for any other credit on their annual tax return. Please refer to Canada Revenue Agency – Eligible Tuition Fees for more information.
Cancellations and Refunds: If you receive funding for a PD activity but subsequently cancel or do not attend, you must notify Human Resources at email@example.com and repay UBC the funding you received. You can make a special written request for alternative arrangements if there were extenuating circumstances that prevented you from attending the PD activity.
If you have general questions about this fund or your eligibility, please contact our Workplace Learning Associate in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org .