PD Fund Guidelines
UBC has established a new Professional Development Fund for Service Unit Directors and Excluded Management and Professional staff (excluded from AAPs membership) effective April 1, 2017.
This new financial resource is intended to complement staff development initiatives already in place within units or departments and will provide more opportunity for Service Unit Directors and Excluded M&P staff to identify their professional development needs, increase skills, and actively navigate their careers at UBC.
Claim Submission Update:
Current Funding Year: 2018-2019 (April 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019)
Status of PD Fund: Open for the current funding year.
Your claim must be submitted to Human Resources within 60 days of the original PD expense date of payment to be considered eligible for funding.
Maximum Yearly Claim Amount: The maximum claim amount for eligible staff is $1,500.
Previous Funding Year: April 1, 2017 – March 31, 2018. This funding year is closed and all individual balances have expired. Eligible claims received in Human Resources after March 29th will be allocated to the 2018/19 funding year.
If you have recently made a submission to the fund, you can monitor the status of your claim through the Faculty & Staff Self-Service portal. Claim details are provided via the “Staff PD” tab .
How To Apply and Submit a Claim
- Log in to the Faculty & Staff Self Service portal to confirm your eligibility and the available PD Fund amount. Click on the “Staff PD” tab to view your PD Fund details.
- Discuss your learning plans with your manager and arrange time off to attend if applicable.
- Register and pay for your learning activity*, resource or associated out-of-town travel.
- Complete a Staff PD Expense Claim form and attach the original proof of payment and other required back-up documentation described on the claim form. The form requires your manager’s signature of authorization.
- Submit your claim in paper copy to Human Resources within 60 days of the original payment date.
- You will receive your reimbursement payment by direct deposit or department reimbursement by JV transfer, depending on your selection on the claim form.
Claim Submissions Mailing Address:
Human Resources – Staff PD Funds
600 – 6190 Agronomy Road, TEF 3
UBC, Vancouver Campus, V6T 1Z3 (MAP)
We require your original claim forms and receipts. Please do not email or fax in your claim.
*Note: If you would like to use your PD Funds to pay for a Human Resources professional development workshop (formally known as MOST) at the Vancouver campus, we will send you a separate application form for you to pay for the workshop fee using part of your PD Fund annual amount. This form will be provided to you at the time of workshop registration and should be signed and returned to the PD Workshop coordinator in Human Resources as your payment method.
Purpose of the Professional Development Fund
This professional development fund can be used towards learning activities that enhance your current role-related knowledge, skills and performance and/or contribute to your ongoing career development and advancement opportunities at UBC.
Please note that the PD Funds do not cover ongoing job-required professional memberships/accreditation dues or job-required training expenses. These expenses should continue to be paid by your department.
Eligible professional development activities may include:
- registration fees for individual courses, seminars, workshops, exams and webinars;
- tuition and materials for professional programs, certifications, diplomas and degrees offered at academic institutions or professional organizations. Academic student fees are not eligible expenses.
- books, journals and subscriptions;
- one-on-one job/career coaching fees when provided by an ICF- credentialed coach;
- professional association or membership dues when of benefit to UBC but not as required as a condition of employment for your current position;
- conference registration fees;
- out-of-town travel expenses associated with conferences and other learning opportunities not available locally as per UBC Travel Policy #83 and Policy #83 Admin Directive.
Ineligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Local travel expenses or meals;
- Academic student fees;
- Phone, data or internet plans for any electronic device;
- Application software or licensing (however training to learn how to use the software is eligible expense);
- Laptops, mobile phones, e-readers, tablets or office equipment
For UBC courses or programs also eligible under the tuition waiver benefit, we request that you maximize your waiver benefit prior to claiming top-up support from this PD Fund.
If you are not sure whether a proposed PD expense is eligible for funding, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com before making a financial commitment and submitting a claim.
Eligibility and Maximum Yearly Amount
Eligible Staff: You are eligible for this professional development fund if you are a Service Unit Director or Excluded Management and Professional staff member (XMP or SUD employee groups excluded from AAPS membership). This funding is non-transferable.
Maximum Claim Amount: You will be reimbursed up to a maximum claim amount of $1,500 each funding year (April 1 through March 31) for eligible PD expenses. This maximum amount is pro rated if you work less than 50% full- time.
To confirm your eligibility and available amount, login to Faculty & Staff Self Service and click on the top right “Staff PD” tab to view your PD Fund details.
Once you have reached your individual yearly maximum, you must wait until the next fiscal year to apply for reimbursement for eligible PD activities. You are not able to borrow funds from future years.
If you have an unused individual balance at year-end, it will not roll over into the next fiscal year.
Leave of Absence: You are eligible for funding during a maternity, parental or adoptive leave. Eligibility during other leaves of absence will be considered by Human Resources on a case-by-case basis.
End of Employment: If your employment with the university is ending – either voluntarily or involuntarily – you are not eligible for funding once you have given notice of resignation or received a notice of termination. If you receive notice that your employment will be ending but you are in a period of working notice, you will remain eligible for funding during the notice period.
Funding Year & Claim Submission Period
Your PD Funds are available on a UBC fiscal-year basis. The current funding year runs April 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019.
You must submit your PD expense claims to Human Resources within 60 days of the PD activity payment date, in order for an expense to be considered eligible for funding.
We allocate your claim amount to the fiscal year in which your claim is submitted, not the activity start date. You are welcome to submit your claim prior to the start of your activity.
Please allow up to two weeks for us to review your claim and process the reimbursement, which will be paid by direct deposit to you or journal voucher transfer to your department’s general ledger, depending on the option you selected on the PD Expense Claim form. Incomplete claims cannot be processed.
Non-taxable status of fund reimbursements:
The funding provided through this program is non-taxable and not included on your T4 slip. This means that you cannot claim the value of any funds received through this program as part of a tuition tax credit or for any other credit on their annual tax return. Please refer to Canada Revenue Agency – Eligible Tuition Fees for more information.
Cancellations and Refunds: If you have been reimbursed for a PD activity but subsequently have to cancel your participation, you must notify the PD Funds Program, Human Resources and reimburse UBC for the money received. You can make a special written request for alternative arrangements if there were extenuating circumstances that prevented you from attending the PD activity.
The fund is centrally administered by UBC Human Resources at the Vancouver campus. Your PD Fund has a set pool of money for each fiscal year; funding comes from a centrally budgeted source and your use of the PD Funds will not be charged back to your unit or department.
Funding is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If all of the funding within the PD Fund pool is utilized in any given year, Human Resources will stop processing claims for that fund until the next fiscal year.
Fund usage will be reviewed on an annual basis, and the maximum annual claim amount may be adjusted from time to time to ensure an equitable distribution of this new pool of money.
If you have general questions about this fund or your eligibility, please contact Cathy Faulconer, Workplace Learning Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-822-6314.
If you any questions that have not been addressed by these guidelines, please contact Susanna Mulligan, Program Manager – PD Fund Programs, at email@example.com or 604-822-9273.