UBC, in collaboration with CUPE Local 116, has established a new funding program to support ongoing professional and skills development of CUPE 116 employees at the university. For the purposes of this funding program “professional development” (PD) is defined as those learning activities that will enhance the knowledge, skills, performance, or career progression of an employee’s work at the University.
Claim Submission Update:
Updated March 31, 2020
Current Funding Year: 2019-2020 ( April 1, 2019-March 31, 2020)
Deadline – Claims must be received in HR by end of day March 31, 2020 to be allocated to the 2019-20 funding year. On April 1,2020 and all individual balances expire for the 2019-20 funding year. Eligible claims received on or after April 1, 2020 or after will be allocated to the 2020-21 funding year.
Next Funding Year: 2020-21 (April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021)
Maximum Yearly Claim Amount: The maximum claim amount for eligible staff is $1,000 for the current funding year. This maximum amount is prorated if you work less than 53% part-time hours.
Status of PD Fund: Due to COVID-19, claims will be temporarily accepted by email until further notice. Please see notice below.
You can access funding for your professional development activities regardless of the fiscal or calendar year they take place. Receipts must be submitted within 60 days of purchase to be eligible for reimbursement.
If you have recently made a submission to the fund, you can monitor the status of your claim through the Faculty & Staff Self-Service portal. Claim details are provided via the “Staff PD” tab
- How to Apply for Reimbursement
- HR Review & Reimbursement Process
- Information for Managers
- Contact Information
How to Apply for Reimbursement
PD Fund claims for the 2020-21 funding year will be accepted as of April 1, 2020.
CUPE 116 employees who are eligible for funding should follow these steps in order to access the PD Fund:
- confirm your PD Fund eligibility and available balance through Faculty & Staff Self-Service (click on the “Staff PD tab” in Self-Service to view PD Fund details);
- review the CUPE 116 PD Fund Guidelines (PDF);
- confirm your manager’s support for your PD Fund request prior to purchase;
- register & pay for your PD activity or arrange to have your department pay upfront on your behalf;
- complete the PD Expense Claim form (PDF );
- attach required receipts & supporting documentation as described on the claim form;
send the completed application by campus mail or drop off in personwithin 60 days of your original purchase date: Human Resources – PD Funding Programs
600 – 6190 Agronomy Road (Tef3)
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3 Emailed claim forms are not accepted
- Employees in the CUPE 116 employment group are eligible to access up to $1,000 in funding out of the available budget this 2020-21 funding year (April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021).
- The maximum amount noted above is prorated for employees working in positions that are less than a 0.53 FTE (typically applies to staff working less than 20 hours per week on average). For example, a 0.40 FTE position (2 workdays per week) x $1000 =$400 prorated maximum amount.
- UBC Aquatic Centre employees are ineligible for this funding program.
Professional & Skills Development Activity Eligibility:
Expenses must be related to professional and skills development activities that enhance the knowledge, skills, performance or career progression of your work at the University. The fund may not be accessed for any other purpose.
Details on typical PD activities such as courses, workshops, conferences and out-of-town travel, exams, resource books, or professional memberships covered by the fund and a list of common excluded expenses can be found in the CUPE 116 PD Fund guidelines (PDF) 4.1.1 and 4.2.
Review & Reimbursement Process
The PD Fund Coordinators in UBC Human Resources will review your submitted PD Expense claim to ensure it:
- is within your available individual funding limit,
- is consistent with the CUPE 116 PD Fund guidelines, and
- includes all required signatures, receipts and back-up documentation.
Claims submitted that do not meet the above criteria will be declined funding support by Human Resources.
You will receive a confirmation email once your claim has been reviewed and processed. Please note that the reimbursement process may take up to 15 business days. If you submit an incomplete application to the PD Fund the reimbursement process will be delayed.
If you paid the upfront costs out of pocket, you will be reimbursed by direct bank deposit. If the upfront costs were paid by your department on your behalf, the PD fund coordinator will arrange reimbursement to your department by Journal Voucher transfer. If you applied for PD Funding to pay for a Professional Development workshop offered through Human Resources, the PD fund coordinator will arrange payment on your behalf.
Information for Managers
UBC is a place where learning never stops. Managers at UBC partner with employees by engaging in career development conversations and by providing resources to support development efforts.
This funding program for staff in the CUPE 116 employment group is a new resource intended to support employee access to learning activities that will enhance their current job-related knowledge, skills and performance as well as to pursue development activities that will be of future use to their career at the University.
Please note that the CUPE 116 PD Fund does not cover job required training /upgrading or professional membership expenses. Please do not submit these expenses for funding support. Please refer to CUPE 116 PD guideline 4.4.
If you have general questions about this fund or your eligibility, please our Workplace Learning Associate in HR, at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you any questions that have not been addressed by these guidelines, please contact Susanna Mulligan, Program Manager – Staff PD Funds , at email@example.com