How Changes to EI Parental Benefits Can Impact You


In our last issue of Benefits FYI, we summarized the federal government changes to Employment Insurance (EI) benefits for maternity and parental leaves that came into effect on December 3, 2017.

To explain how EI benefits (maternity and parental) and UBC’s Supplemental Employment Benefits (SEB) top-up work, we’ve organized the details by birth mother, birth father and adopting parents. We’ve also included four scenarios to help illustrate the information.

Continue reading “How Changes to EI Parental Benefits Can Impact You”

2017 Tax Info: Medical Expense Claims & T4/T4A Receipts

How to Claim Medical Expenses on Your Tax Return

If you or your eligible dependents have any Extended Health and/or Dental Care claims from the 2017 calendar year that were not reimbursed by Sun Life or other benefits plans, you may be eligible to claim these expenses on your income tax return depending on your net income (or your dependents).

Generally speaking, you can claim unreimbursed medical expenses on your tax return if:

  • you (or your spouse) have unreimbursed medical expenses that exceed the lesser of 3% of your net income or $2,268;
  • your eligible dependents have unreimbursed medical expenses that exceed the lesser of 3% of their net income or $2,268.

For more information on the types of medical expenses for which you can claim and how to do this, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Any Medical Services Plan premiums you pay cannot be claimed on your tax return.

Questions about claiming medical expenses should be directed to the Canada Revenue Agency or your financial advisor.

2017 Tax Receipts Now Available

Faculty, staff and student employees can download their 2017 T4 and T4A statements for their tax returns via the Faculty and Staff Self-Service portal.

How to download your statement:

  1. Log in to the Faculty and Staff Self-Service portal at, using your Campus-Wide Login (CWL). If you are off-campus, you will need to connect using VPN.
  2.  Click on HRMS Self-Service.
  3.  In the My Pay column of the screen, select Year End Slips to access your statement for the current and previous years. If you have not previously accessed your slip(s) online, you will be required to acknowledge a consent agreement.

Note: Faculty and staff who choose not to accept the agreement will receive their T4/T4A statements in late February, consistent with the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency.

For more information on your taxes or obtaining your tax slips, please visit

About T4 and T4As

Humans of Human Resources: Terri Jones

This month, we profile Terri Jones, Human Resources Advisor at the Okanagan campus.

Tell us about yourself.

I was born in Alberta and raised in the lower mainland of BC, where I lived until recently. With close family in the Okanagan, I’ve visited Kelowna and Lake Country many times over the years. I was offered the opportunity to move to Kelowna to accept the position of Human Resources Advisor at the Okanagan campus.

I began my post-secondary career working in finance for payroll services at the college level. I was drawn to the human resources profession [and pursued my HR education] at BCIT, along with some speciality HR offerings at UBC and the Justice Institute of BC. I have 13 years of progressive human resource experience specific to the post- secondary sector, from college to university-college to university environments.

What do you do in HR?

As a Human Resources Advisor, I support all levels of the organization in my portfolio by providing advice and guidance on a wide range of issues related to the workplace, such as recruitment and selection support and strategies, faculty and staff collective agreement interpretation, conflict resolution, unit reorganizations, attendance and performance management, job design and classification.

I strive for a curious approach to understand subject context and to ensure timely communications for those involved.

I look forward to supporting my UBC Okanagan clients with their HR queries and workplace needs.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

When not at work, I like to get away from the hustle and bustle and spend my time outdoors, either hiking, gardening or exploring new areas. My dog, Lola, joins me in most of my outdoor activities.

I have a deep interest in all genres of music and attend concerts and music events when possible. I like to read and socialize with friends and family, and I’m an avid Scrabble player. With my move to the Okanagan, I am looking forward to kayaking this summer.

Photo: Carleigh Benoit