Travelling Health Fair
The Travelling Health Fair is a free mobile health clinic put on once a year for UBC staff and faculty. It offers one-on-one health assessments and consultations every February.
The 2018 Travelling Health Fair has concluded. Please check back in the fall for details about next year’s event.
Missed the fair?
isit our Virtual Health Fair. It includes over 20 different screenings, tools and resources to help you assess your current status and make improvements towards a healthier self.
2018: Heart Health Screenings
Heart disease and stroke are leading causes of death and disability for Canadians and understanding risk factors and prevention strategies is key.
As part of this fair, participants will receive the following services:
- Blood pressure measurement;
- Body mass index (BMI) and waist measurement;
- Cholesterol measurement (involves a small finger prick);
- Calculation of heart disease risk (Framingham score);
- Interpretation of results and individualized heart health action plan (captured in a health passport).
2017: Diabetes Awareness
Eleven million Canadians live with diabetes or pre diabetes. Chances are you or someone you know is affected, however many people may not even know they are affected. Awareness and knowledge are critical.
This year, participants recieved:
- Education about blood sugars, diabetes and what it all means
- Measurement of weight, waist, blood pressure and blood sugars
- Education about diabetes risk factors and a personalized risk assessment
- Interpretation of results with an individualized action plan for preventing or reducing diabetes risk
*Through the 2017 assessments, 13% of participants discovered that they were pre-diabetic or at risk for pre-diabetes. The screenings also prompted 44% of participants to seek follow up care with another health professional.
2016: Lung Health
Do you notice your breathing? Are you slumped forward, tensed up or taking shallow breaths? Do you have a lung condition? We take approximately 22,000 breaths each day, usually without even realizing it, and in some situations our health can be compromised if we are not breathing properly.
Effective breathing and healthy lungs starts with knowledge!
This year, participants received:
- A lung health check-up.
- Information about breathing and the lungs.
- Lung health risk factor information.
- A personalized action plan for optimal lung health.
2015: Bone up on your Health
Bones truly are the backbone of your body. They support you, allow you to move, and protect the body from injury. Bones also store and release much needed minerals within the body. Your bone health is largely determined by how well you understand and look after your bones. We are here to help!
As part of the fair, participants received the following services:
Bone fracture risk assessment; height and weight measurement; personalized action plan for bone health and bone disease prevention; information on calcium, vitamin D intake and lifestyle factors; counselling & interpretation of results.
Services provided by licensed pharmacists and pharmacy students from the Pharmacists Clinic at the UBC Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
For more information, please contact Miranda Massie, Health Promotions Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fitting In Fitness
- Walking at UBC
- Health, Fitness & Family Discounts
- Virtual Health Fair & Online Assessments
- Staff & Faculty Sports Day
- Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge
- Travelling Health Fair
- CAMMPUS Cardiovascular Health Assessment Program
Call the Shepell Care Access Centre at 1-800-387-4765 to chat with a counsellor.