Substance Use and Addiction Support Resources

For people who struggle with substance use and addictions, it can sometimes be difficult to seek out help and support. If you are looking for help, or you want to support someone you know in finding assistance, the following resources are available.

Counselling Services and Addictions Support

The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is a confidential and voluntary counselling support service. Counsellors can help with a range of issues, including relationship challenges, stress, depression, anxiety, addiction, family issues, grief and more. Services are confidential and available in multiple languages and formats.

EFAP will match you and/or your dependents with a counsellor who specializes in addictions.  You will receive short-term counselling to develop coping strategies and practical tools for abstaining from  addicting behaviour, with the goal of maintaining abstinence over time.

If the situation requires specialized care or long-term counselling, they will work to find resources to best meet your individual needs and budget.

Click here to learn more about EFAP.

The UBC Extended Health Plan also provides reimbursement of counselling services provided by a Registered Psychologist, Social Worker or Clinical Counsellor of your choice.  You (and your eligible dependents) may be reimbursed  for 100% of reasonable and customary charges, up to a maximum of $2,500 per person, per year. No doctor’s referral is required to access this service.

Local Support and Treatment Options (Health Authorities)

HealthLink BC: Mental Health and Substance Use (Province-wide support)

Your local health authority will have region-specific information for substance use and recovery or treatment services.

Vancouver Coastal Health – Vancouver, Richmond, North and West Vancouver and along the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast and BC’s Central Coast.

Fraser Health – Burnaby, Port Moody, Surrey, White Rock, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Delta, Langley, Abbotsford, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Mission, Chilliwack, Agassiz and Hope.

Interior Health – Kelowna, Kamloops, Cranbrook, Trail, Penticton and Vernon, as well as a multitude of more rural and remote communities.

Vancouver Island – Kelowna, Kamloops, Cranbrook, Trail, Penticton and Vernon, as well as a multitude of more rural and remote communities.

Northern Health – Northeast, Northern Interior and Northwest regions of British Columbia.

First Nations Health – First Nations and Aboriginal people in BC.

BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC): Toward the Heart and Harm Reduction.

Community Services

Community specific services including individual and family counselling, drug and alcohol counselling and specialized addiction services (gambling, eating disorders etc.).

Family Services of Greater Vancouver

Family Services, North Shore

Tri-Cities Community Services

Langley Community Services

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows Services

Kelowna Family Services

Help Lines and Referral Services

Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention: 1-800-784-2433 (1-800-SUICIDE)

Healthlink BC: 8-1-1

Alcohol and Drug Information & Referral Service: 1-800-663-1441

BC Eating Disorders Help Line:  1-800-665-1822

The BC Problem Gambling Help Line:  1-888-795-6111 or website.

Online Directory of Service Providers A free online directory  of alcohol and drug rehab programs and other addiction-related services located across the country.  Services are organized by medical programs, outpatient programs, residential programs and meetings.

Eating Disorder Programs

Gambling Addiction Programs

Sex Addiction Programs

From Grief to Action: A comprehensive website for parents with children who have, or might have, an addictive disorder.

Support Groups

Alcohol Use Support Group Meetings

Alcoholics Anonymous604-435-2181

Al-Anon/Alateen Family Group:  1-888-425-2666 (1-888-4AL-ANON)

Parents Forever: 604-524-4230 or 604-860-4203

 Drug Use Support Groups

Narcotics Anonymous

Cocaine Anonymous: 1-866-662-8300

Parents Forever: 604-524-4230 or 604-860-4203

Eating Disorder Support Groups

Surrey Community Services: 604-584-5811

The Vancouver Anti-Anorexia Anti-Bulimia League: 604-688-7860, 24 hour crisis line:  (604) 872-3311

British Columbia Eating Disorders Association-Victoria BC: 1-250-383-2755

Whistler Disordered Eating Support Group: 604-938-1006

Gambling Addict Support Groups

Gamblers Anonymous: 604-878-6535

Sex Addict Support Groups

Sexaholics Anonymous

Tel: (250) 862-7122 (Kelowna)

Toll-Free: 1-888-357-8104 (Nanaimo)

Tel: (604) 290-9643 (Vancouver)

Tel: (250) 309-4098 (Vernon)

Tel: (250) 480-2118 (Victoria)

Websites of Interest