Elder Care Resources

We all know that life demands exist outside of work. Below are a list of suggested resources to assist you and your family in navigating elder care and caregiver support.

Compassionate Care and General Leaves

You may need to take time off of work to care for a family member who is extremely ill or due to the death of a family member. The first type of leave is called a compassionate care leave, and the second type of leave is known as a compassionate or bereavement leave. Click here for full details.

Counselling Services and Elder Care Support

The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is a confidential and voluntary counselling support service. Counsellors can help with a range of issues, including relationship challenges, stress, depression, anxiety, addiction, family issues, grief and more. Services are confidential and available in multiple languages and formats.

EFAP also offers an extensive suite of services to support you, from providing wellbeing coaching or advising on family issues to offering legal support. These Work/Life consultations are conducted over the telephone and are designed to help you make the decisions that are best for you. Access WorkLife support services here.

Health Authorities

Health Authorities provide services for Seniors, including Seniors Housing, and Home and Community Care. For more information, click on the Health Authority responsible for the area in which you, or your family member, lives.

  • Vancouver Coastal Health – Vancouver, Richmond, North and West Vancouver and along the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast and BC’s Central Coast. Visit their Caregiver Support Program.
  • Fraser Health – Burnaby, Port Moody, Surrey, White Rock, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Delta, Langley, Abbotsford, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Mission, Chilliwack, Agassiz and Hope. Visit their Caregiver Support page.
  • Interior Health – Kelowna, Kamloops, Cranbrook, Trail, Penticton and Vernon, as well as a multitude of more rural and remote communities. Visit their Caregiver Support pages.
  • Vancouver Island – Kelowna, Kamloops, Cranbrook, Trail, Penticton and Vernon, as well as a multitude of more rural and remote communities.
  • Northern Health – Northeast, Northern Interior and Northwest regions of British Columbia.

Government Benefits and Resources

Help Lines and Referral Services

  • BC Seniors Healthcare Support Line: 1-877-952-3181
  • Healthlink BC: 8-1-1
  • Senior Advocacy Line: 1-866-437-1940
  • A Place For Mom: Free service for connecting seniors and their families to retirement homes.

Community Organizations and Support Groups