Making Changes To Your Benefits
You can make changes to your UBC Benefit plan, including:
- updating your personal information,
- changing or adding beneficiaries and dependents, and
- changing the amount of coverage you carry for optional benefits.
To do so, you will need to update the relevant forms and submit them to UBC Payroll.
Updating your personal information
If you move, change your name, or change your bank or account number for direct deposit of your payroll and benefit reimbursements, you will need to complete and submit various forms.
- Update your Payroll Direct Deposit information
- Update your personal information for payroll
- Update your personal information for your Medical Services Plan coverage
- Update your personal information for your Extended Health and Dental Plan
Adding or removing a spouse or child from your health benefits
To add or remove a dependent from your benefit coverage, you will need to complete the appropriate forms below. This can be prompted by entering a common-law relationship, marriage, divorce or separation, the birth or adoption of a child, or the death of a spouse or dependent.
- Add or remove your spouse or child from your Medical Services Plan
- Add or remove your spouse or child from your Extended Health and Dental Plan
- Add a newborn or adopted child in your Medical Services Plan, Extended Health, Dental or Employee Family and Assistance Program
Some life changes may affect who will be your pension beneficiary. Contact the Pension Administration Office at 604-822-8100 for more information.
Updating your beneficiary for your life insurance and changing your optional coverage
Updating your beneficiary
It is important to keep your Life Insurance beneficiary up to date to ensure that the intended person receives the sum of money (benefit) in the event of your death (or in the event of your spouse’s death if you have Spouse Optional Life Insurance). This can be prompted by entering a common-law relationship, marriage, divorce or separation, the birth or adoption of a child, or the death of a spouse or dependent.
You can nominate a beneficiary for Basic Life, and if you are enrolled in it, your Optional Life and Spouse Optional Life Insurance.
Original copies of the beneficiary forms are required by UBC Payroll for processing. We will not accept photocopies and/or electronic copies.
- Update your beneficiary information for your Basic Life Insurance
- Update your beneficiary information for your Optional Employee Life Insurance
- Update your beneficiary information for your Optional Spousal Life Insurance
If you are enrolled in Optional AD&D Insurance, the beneficiary of your Optional AD&D Insurance is the same beneficiary as is listed on your Optional Life Insurance. This also applies to the beneficiary named by your spouse if they are covered by Optional Life and Optional AD&D insurance.
Changing your Optional Life Insurance coverage
You can change the coverage amount for your Optional Life Insurance as long as you don’t exceed the maximum allowed on your plan. Changes in insurance coverage must be in blocks of $25,000.
To increase your coverage, complete a Health Statement and submit it to Sun Life for approval. You do not require approval from Sun Life to reduce or cancel your coverage.
The original copy of an application to increase coverage is required by UBC Payroll for processing. We will not accept photocopies and/or electronic copies. However, we will accept photocopies or electronic copies if you are applying to reduce or cancel your coverage, or change your smoker or non-smoker status.
- Apply to increase your coverage under UBC’s Optional Life and Optional AD&D (Employee and/or Spouse)
- Request to reduce or cancel your coverage under UBC’s Optional Life and Optional AD&D (Employee and/or Spouse)
- Update your smoker or non-smoker status under UBC’s Optional Life and Optional AD&D (Employee and/or Spouse)
Complete and submit your forms
Once you complete your forms, please send them to Payroll for processing.
- Coverage Start & End Dates
- Eligibility and Cost
- Enrolling in Benefits, Payroll, and Pensions
- Making Changes To Your Benefits
- Employee Groups
Extended Health/Dental number
Active Benefits: 025205
Retiree Benefits (RSB): 020605
Member ID: your 7-digit UBC employee ID number
Visit the Sun Life Member Website or call Sun Life at 1-800-661-7334 or 1-800-361-6212.
Call the Shepell Care Access Centre at 1-800-387-4765 to chat with a counsellor.
Learn more about benefits
Log in to the self-service portal
You can log in to the UBC Faculty and Staff Self-Service Portal to check on the status of your benefit and pension enrolments and review your direct deposit information.