Enrolling in Benefits, Payroll, and Pensions
Welcome to UBC’s Benefits Sign-On, the online enrolment system you will use to enrol for your payroll, benefits and pension package. Through UBC Benefits Sign-On, you can complete all your required forms in one sitting, in a secure, web-based environment.
Carefully review the guidelines below to learn more about the information you need to have on hand to complete the forms. You can expect to spend between 30 and 60 minutes completing the required forms. You have two options to submit your forms:
- Print off the completed forms and return them to Payroll; or,
- Send electronic copies via link available. You will need the appropriate software or mobile application such as Adobe Acrobat (e.g., Adobe Acrobat Pro DC; Adobe Fill & Sign mobile app) to provide your electronic signature to the forms. This will allow you to submit the forms without having to print, sign, and scan them.
Once you have reviewed this information, you can log in to the Benefits Sign-On Portal to complete your forms. Our Step-by-Step Online Enrolment Assistance instructions will help you complete and submit the forms.
Before you begin
There are a few steps to take before you begin the online enrolment process.
1. Review your benefits package and decide which optional benefits you want to be covered for
Before you enrol online, review the benefit package available to you as a UBC employee. There are both mandatory and optional benefits, and some benefits are paid for by you and others are paid by UBC. You need to decide which of the optional benefits you wish to be covered for.
You are not automatically enrolled for all benefits. You need to know what UBC benefits you are eligible for and when you will be covered for these benefits. This will allow you to ensure the continuity of your coverage between what is provided by UBC and what is provided by the group plan you hold with your former employer or your own individual coverage.
If you are a resident of British Columbia, you must enrol in MSP. By law, MSP is mandatory for all eligible residents and their dependents. If you hold a valid work or study permit, you are also eligible.
UBC Extended Health and Dental plans allow for double coverage. This means that if you are covered under your spouse’s plan, you can also enrol in the UBC Extended Health and Dental plans if your spouse’s plan also allows for double coverage. If your spouse’s plan does not allow for double coverage, you must decide which plan you and your family would like to enroll in.
2. Gather the following information
You need to know the following before you begin:
- Enrolment code: Your Enrolment Code can be found on your Offer Letter and will be either SEP0xx for staff or FEP0xx for faculty. When you enter this code, the system will automatically generate the package of forms you must complete based on your employee group. If you have not received your Offer Letter, please contact your Department Administrator.
- Social insurance number (SIN): You must provide your social insurance number and the social insurance number of your spouse if you are applying for optional life insurance.
- Banking information: You will need your account number(s), branch number, and your address for direct deposit information.
- Personal health number found on your BC Services Card: The personal health number is proof of your BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) enrolment and is required if you are planning to enrol in the Extended Health plan through UBC. You must provide your own personal health number, as well as the numbers of your dependents (spouse and/or children). If you are new to BC, this information is not required at the time of enrolment. Learn more about enrolling in the MSP.
- Dependent information: You will need to provide full names, dates of birth, ages and addresses of your dependents.
- Proof of birth date for you and your spouse: If you are applying for the UBC Staff Pension Plan, you will need to provide proof of your birth date and the birth date of your spouse, if applicable. This proof can be provided through a copy of a birth certificate, Canadian citizenship card or passport.
3. Make sure you have access to a printer
You must have access to a printer to print your completed online forms. If you exit the session without printing the completed forms, your session will end and you will lose all your work. You can submit your forms electronically, however, you will need the appropriate software or mobile application such as Adobe Acrobat (e.g., Adobe Acrobat Pro DC; Adobe Fill & Sign mobile app) to provide your electronic signature to the forms.
Begin your session
Print and return the enrolment package
Once you have completed the online enrolment process, you must print, sign and return the entire package to the address noted below. In order to process your enrolment faster, you can submit your forms electronically by completing the following steps:
- Print, sign and scan/photograph the forms and submit by uploading the forms or pictures of the forms in Qualtrics at: Qualtrics Submission Form; or
- Save forms, add electronic signature and upload forms in Qualtrics at: Qualtrics Submission Form.
UBC Financial Operations
500 – 6190 Agronomy Road
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3
UBC Finance Operations and Strategies
EME 2171 – 1137 Alumni Avenue
Kelowna, BC V1V 1V7
The package must include all of your signed forms with all required attachments. You must also include the checklist.
Don’t want to enrol online or require assistance?
If you do not wish to complete the forms through the online system, email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the Enrolment Code in your Offer Letter. We will email you the forms that you can print and complete by hand.
If you do not have access to a printer or require assistance, please contact the Human Resources Services Centre by phone, at 604-822-8111, any time between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday.
After you enrol
Once you have completed your enrolment, we recommend that you sign up for the UBC Faculty and Staff Self-Service Portal. You will need your CWL to log into Self-Service. This secure website allows you to view and update your personal and payroll information online. Once your forms have been processed by Payroll, you will also be able to confirm your benefits enrolment and verify that your information is correct.
If you have questions related to the status or processing of your benefits enrolment forms, please contact Payroll.
Ready to begin?
If you’re ready to begin, please take a look at our Step-by-Step Online Enrolment Assistance instructions for advice and tips on filling out the forms.
- Coverage Start & End Dates
- Eligibility and Cost
- Enrolling in Benefits, Payroll, and Pensions
- Making Changes To Your Benefits
- Employee Groups
Phone: 1-800-661-7334 or 1-800-361-6212
Active Plan Group Number: 025205
Member ID: your 7-digit UBC employee ID number
Retirement & Survivor Benefits Plan Group Number: 020605
Member ID: your 7-digit UBC employee ID number
Call the Morneau Shepell Care Access Centre at 1-800-387-4765 to chat with a counsellor.
Learn more about your pension
Please visit www.pensions.ubc.ca to learn more about your pension plan.
Log in to the self-service portal
You can log in to the UBC Faculty and Staff Self-Service Portal to check on the status of your benefit and pension enrolments and review your direct deposit information.