Unpaid Sick Leave

If you use up all of your paid sick leave days and are still unable to return to work, you should apply for an unpaid medical leave.

If you are in the third month of your absence from work due to illness or injury and it does not seem that you will be able to make a full return to work, you should apply for long-term disability. Learn more about long-term disability benefits.

How to apply for unpaid sick leave

For unpaid medical leave, apply to your department in writing, including a doctor’s certification of the illness and a prognosis of your expected return date. Your department will then notify Financial Services that you are going on unpaid medical leave.

Employment Insurance (EI)

If you are going on unapid sick leave, you should apply for Employment Insurance as soon as you know the dates of your leave.

A Record of Employment (ROE) is required for your EI application.  Your Payroll Representative will send your ROE electronically to Service Canada following your last paycheque prior to the start date of your leave.  You do not need to request a ROE from UBC.

If you would like to speak with someone at UBC regarding your ROE:

Applying for Employment Insurance (EI)

Details on applying for Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits can be found on the Service Canada website.

For medical leaves of more than six months, you may be eligible to apply for the Income Replacement Plan/Disability Benefits Plan.

What happens to my benefits when I’m on an unpaid sick leave?

When you are on leave, you can choose to keep your benefits or cancel your benefits. See Benefits Coverage while on a Leave for more information.