Maternity, Parental & Adoptive Leave
Becoming a parent is a major event. There are several leaves available so you can look after your new child, including:
- Birth Mothers: an unpaid maternity leave of up to 17 weeks, if you are the birth mother, which can be combined with an unpaid parental leave of up to 35 weeks to extend your total time off work,
- Birth Fathers: an unpaid parental leave of up to 37 weeks if you are the birth father,
- Adopting Parents: an unpaid adoption leave of up to 37 weeks for an adopting parent, and a pre-placement adoption paid leave of up to 20 days, if you are an Administrative Executive, CUPE 116, CUPE 2278, CUPE 2950 or Management & Professional employee.
Maternity, parental and adoption leaves are unpaid. When you apply for a maternity, parental or adoption leave, you can also apply for Employment Insurance (EI) maternity or parental benefits from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). EI benefits are administered by Service Canada.
If you meet EI’s eligibility rules for benefits, you will receive EI benefits if you are a birth mother, birth father or adopting parent. The payment is generally around 55% of your pre-leave earnings up to a specific maximum amount.
Some employee groups are also eligible for Supplementary Employment Benefits that can be used to top up your EI benefit payments to 75% or 95% of your pre-leave salary for a specified period of time.
If you are planning to take a maternity, parental or adoption leave, you will need to:
- notify your supervisor of the start and end dates of your leave (ideally at least four weeks ahead of the start date of your leave),
- apply for the EI maternity or parental benefit through Service Canada,
- apply for Supplementary Employment Benefits if this benefit is available to your employee group, and
- decide whether to maintain your benefit coverage and pension contributions. See Benefits Coverage while on a Leave for more information.
Learn more about maternity, parental and adoption leave and paid benefits during your leave
There are some differences between the plans for each of UBC’s employee groups, so please review the section that applies specifically to your group.
- Administrative Executives, Management & Professional, CUPE 116, CUPE 2278 and CUPE 2950
- BCGEU Childcare and IUOE 882
- BCGEU Okanagan
- Other employees: includes Executive Administrative, Farm Workers and Non-Union Technicians & Research Assistants
- Faculty: includes Faculty, Academic Executive and Postdoctoral Fellows (Employee)
- Postdoctoral Fellows (Award Recipients)
- Paid Sick Leave
- Unpaid Sick Leave
- Learning & Professional Development Leaves
- General Leave
- Maternity, Parental & Adoptive Leave
- Compassionate & Compassionate Care Leave
- Christmas Leave
- Leaves for Personal Matters
- Leaves for University and Union Business
- Benefits Coverage while on a Leave
- Maintaining Benefits For Sessional Lecturers Between Appointments
- Tenure Clocks Extensions and Study Leave Eligibility
Extended Health/Dental number
Active Benefits: 025205
Retiree Benefits (RSB): 020605
Member ID: your 7-digit UBC employee ID number
Visit the Sun Life Member Website or call Sun Life at 1-800-661-7334 or 1-800-361-6212.
Call the Shepell Care Access Centre at 1-800-387-4765 to chat with a counsellor.