You are eligible for the Retirement & Survivor Benefit (RSB) Program if one of the three scenarios below applies to you:
- You leave your employment at UBC (for any reason) after you have turned 55 and you currently have Extended Health or Dental benefits through UBC or through a comparable spousal benefits plan.
- You are the surviving dependent of a UBC employee who has died at any age, and who was covered by a UBC Benefits Plan.
- You are working beyond your normal retirement date and you are receiving pension benefits. If you are faculty, your normal retirement date is June 30 or December 31 on or after you turn 65; if you are staff, your normal retirement date is the last day of the month you turn 65.
Enrolling in the RSB Program and a second benefit plan
The RSB Program allows for double coverage. This means that if you are covered under your spouse’s benefit plan, you can also be enrolled in the RSB Program if your spouse’s plan allows for double coverage.
Being enrolled in two plans can allow you to coordinate your claims, to a maximum coverage of 100%. For example, if the RSB Program covers 80% of the cost of prescription drugs and your spouse’s plan covers 80%, you can claim the 80% from UBC and then claim the unpaid portion of the prescription cost from the other plan.
Your dependents may be eligible for benefits through the RSB Program. Dependents must meet the same eligibility criteria as required by UBC Benefit Plans for employees.
If you die, your surviving dependents are eligible for coverage under the RSB Program if they decide to enrol in the program and pay the monthly premiums. Their coverage will continue until they no longer meet the definition of a dependent or until they voluntarily leave the plan.
- Comparing Plans for Current and Retired Employees
- RSB Eligibility
- Monthly Premium Rates for RSB
- RSB Coverage
- Enrolling in the RSB Plan
- Making A Claim
- Making Changes
- Leaving the RSB Plan
- RSB Frequently Asked Questions
Extended Health/Dental number
Active Benefits: 025205
Retiree Benefits (RSB): 020605
Member ID: your 7-digit UBC employee ID number
Visit the Sun Life Member Website or call Sun Life at 1-800-661-7334 or 1-800-361-6212.
Call the Shepell Care Access Centre at 1-800-387-4765 to chat with a counsellor.
Learn more about RSB
For more information on the RSB Program, please contact:
Julia Carandang, RSB Administrator
Visit the Sun Life Member Website or call Sun Life at 1-800-661-7334 or 1-800-361-6212, toll-free.
Apply for the RSB Program
Interested in applying? Please complete and submit the Retirement & Survivor Benefits Program Application Form within 31 days of leaving your position at UBC.