Retirement & Survivor Benefits
The Retirement and Survivor Benefits (RSB) Program is for former UBC faculty and staff who have retired or who left UBC at age 55 or older. The RSB Program also provides benefits to eligible surviving family of UBC faculty and staff.
If you are 55 or older when you retire or leave your employment at UBC, you can choose to participate in the Retirement and Survivor Benefits (RSB) Program. The RSB Program also provides benefits to eligible surviving family of UBC faculty and staff.
The RSB Program includes three benefit plans:
You can enrol in one or more of these plans. The coverage offered by these plans is not the same as the benefits offered to current UBC employees. For example, the cost of vision care is not covered under the RSB Program, and the reimbursement level for some services and supplies is different.
If you want to enrol in the RSB Program, you must do so within 31 days of:
- retiring or leaving your employment at UBC and/or
- the end of your coverage under the UBC Benefit plans if you are a surviving dependent of a UBC employee.
If you do not enrol in the RSB Program within this time frame, you will not be able to join at a later date.
Deciding if the RSB Program is right for you
Enrolling in the RSB Program when you leave your employment at UBC after the age of 55 is an optional, one-time opportunity.
You might find it useful in your decision-making process to:
- consider the cost of the plan,
- assess the benefit coverage offered by the plan,
- examine your past experience with medical and dental expenses,
- forecast your future medical and dental expenses,
- speak with your financial advisor, and
- check for competitive rates and coverage with other providers of private medical and dental coverage.
Learn more about:
- How the RSB Plan compares to your benefit coverage as a current UBC employee
- How much it costs
- What benefits are covered
- How to enrol
- How to make a claim
- How to make changes to your plan
- How to leave the plan
- Frequently asked questions
If you are retiring from UBC, please visit our Retirement section for more information.
- Medical Services Plan
- Dental Benefits
- Extended Health Benefits
- Health Spending Account
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Life Insurance
- Income Replacement & Disability Benefits
- Vacation & Leaves
- Benefits While Travelling
- Tuition Waivers and Professional Development
- Retirement & Survivor Benefits
Extended Health/Dental number
Active Benefits: 025205
Retiree Benefits (RSB): 020605
Member ID: your 7-digit UBC employee ID number
Visit the Sun Life Member Website or call Sun Life at 1-800-661-7334 or 1-800-361-6212.
Call the Shepell Care Access Centre at 1-800-387-4765 to chat with a counsellor.
Learn more about your pension
Please visit www.pensions.ubc.ca to learn more about your pension plan.
How do I submit a claim?
Please visit Claims for detailed instructions on how to submit a claim.
Learn more about RSB
For more information on the RSB Program, please contact:
Julia Carandang, RSB Administrator
Visit the Sun Life Member Website or call Sun Life at 1-800-661-7334 or 1-800-361-6212, toll-free.
Apply for the RSB Program
Interested in applying? Please complete and submit the Retirement & Survivor Benefits Program Application Form within 31 days of leaving your position at UBC.