In This Issue…

In This Issue…


Hello RSB plan members! In this winter edition of Viewpoints, we bring you several important articles and reminders, including:

Changes to Group MSP Administration

As we mentioned in previous Viewpoints, the Feb. 2018 BC Budget announced that effective Jan. 1, 2020, all BC residents who meet the eligibility requirements will no longer have to pay monthly Medical Services Plan (MSP) premiums. Because of this, UBC will no longer need to administer a Group MSP plan effective Dec. 31, 2019. Once this occurs, Health Insurance BC will automatically enrol you and your eligible dependents under your own MSP account. No action is needed on your part.

Even though you don’t need to pay MSP premiums, you are responsible for making sure the information that MSP has on file is up-to-date. For example, you must notify MSP with any address or name changes.

Please refer to the MSP Information Bulletin that was enclosed with your Winter Viewpoints newsletter. If you have questions about your MSP account, please contact their office directly:

  • Lower Mainland: 604-683-7151
  • Elsewhere in BC (toll-free): 1-800 663-7100

We wish you all the best for the rest of 2019 and happy holidays!

Frequently Asked RSB Questions

Frequently Asked RSB Questions

In this issue, we address two frequently asked questions that we receive from RSB plan members: how to request a copy of your medical and dental history online, and how to update your plan information.

FAQ: How do I request a copy of my medical and dental claims history?

Your first instinct may be to call Sun Life (1-800-361-6212), but did you know that you can easily and conveniently access your information online 24/7?

Here’s how you can access your claims history:

  1. Login to
  2. Scroll down until you see “Completed claims”.
  3. Click on “All claims”.


  1. Select the relevant dates, and then click “Continue”.

FAQ: I need to update my RSB plan information. How do I do this?

Contact the RSB Administrator ( to do the following:

Update your contact details:

  • Provide your new address, phone number and email

Change the bank account where your RSB premiums are withdrawn from:

  • Send a void cheque, as well as a note indicating the effective date, to the address below:

Attn: RSB Administrator
600 – 6190 Agronomy Road
Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z3

New HR Information System Coming April 2020

In April 2020, UBC’s HR information system will transition to our new system, Workday. For further information, visit

The system change will create administrative changes that may affect some RSB plan members. In the next few months, we will be communicating directly with the RSB plan members who will be impacted.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Julia Carandang at 604-822-4580 or


2018 Reminders

Submit Your Extended Health Claims

Any extended health medical claims incurred in 2017 must be received by Sun Life by Dec. 31, 2018.

To submit your claim online:

To mail a paper claim form:

  1. Fill out a paper claim form by:
  1. Attach the relevant original receipts. Keep copies for your records.
  2. Mail your completed claim forms and original receipts to:

Sun Life
PO Box 2010 Stn Waterloo
Waterloo, ON N2J 0A6

2018 Tax Receipts

Every year, tax receipts are issued to retirees who pay their own extended health and/or dental premiums. The tax receipts will be mailed to you by Feb. 28, 2019.

Please contact Julia Carandang only if you do not receive the letter by Mar. 15, 2019.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find detailed information regarding my Sun Life extended health and dental benefits?

Where can I find the Sun Life extended health claim forms?

I lost my Sun Life pay-direct card. How do I find my benefits information?

  • First, note your RSB policy number (020605) and Sun Life Member ID (your 7-digit UBC employee ID OR 9-digit Social Insurance Number.)
  • Next, use your policy and member ID details to sign in the Sun Life website, where you can access your benefits information and download your new card.
  • You can also check your RSB enrolment confirmation letter for benefits information.
  • Contact Julia Carandang to obtain a new card.

Why was my extended health/dental claim denied?

  • UBC does not have access to your personal medical/dental usage and claim history. You will need to contact Sun Life directly at 1-800-661-7334 or at 1-800-361-6212.

I tried to submit a claim using policy number 025205, which is what I used as an employee in UBC, but I have been informed that my benefits have been terminated. What do I do?

  • Check that your policy number is 020605. Your Sun Life Member ID will be the same as when you were an active employee.
  • Refer to your RSB confirmation letter for a details related to your benefits.
  • Inform your medical providers of the changes to your benefits information.