Under Policy HR6 – Relocation (formerly Policy #82), the University has designated relocation and moving companies that must be used if relocating faculty and senior management wish to have eligible expenses reimbursed by UBC’s Central Relocation Fund, the fund that supports the policy. (The only exception is if new hires move themselves without the help of a moving company. Those who move themselves can also be reimbursed by the Central Relocation Fund for eligible expenses.)
Moving Company Options
As of July 1, 2019, there will be three moving vendor options available to eligible relocating faculty members and senior management staff and hiring departments:
- Quality Move Management (QMM)
- Armstrong Moving and Storage/Armstrong International Movers Ltd.
- AMJ Campbell
Quality Move Management (QMM) has been UBC’s designated relocation and moving company since 2007 for hiring departments, faculty and senior managers.
Because of its negotiated agreement with UBC, QMM works to:
- Provide effective customer service through a single point of contact and through the development of online capabilities that are available on a 24/7/365 basis for international relocations
- Identify opportunities to reduce the cost of moves and to improve the effectiveness of related processes
- Offer current and consistent information related to relocation
Note to Hiring Departments:
- UBC will continue to manage the agreement with QMM. If you select QMM as your moving company, please continue to follow existing practices and administrative procedures. UBC and QMM’s relocation coordinators remain your key contacts for QMM moves.
- QMM is the preferred moving company for UBC senior management relocations (e.g. President, VPs, AVPs) and executives (e.g. Deans) if hiring departments wish to access the Central Relocation Fund.
About Armstrong and AMJ Campbell
UBC is a member of the Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO), which means the University can take advantage of CAUBO’s agreements with Armstrong and AMJ Campbell. CAUBO negotiates competitive tariff agreements with its moving vendors based on a larger volume of moves. This ensures the competitiveness of quotes/estimates.
Because CAUBO manages the agreements with its moving companies, they are responsible for maintaining the appropriate quality of service. If you choose to use one of CAUBO’s moving companies, you must work directly with CAUBO and its vendors.
Requests for Quotes/Estimates
You may request quotes/estimates from one or each of the three available moving companies. It is often helpful to request more than one quote to ensure you have the best rate for your move.
If you have any questions about your quote/estimate, please contact your hiring department administrator or the relocation coordinator for your respective moving company.
Existing Moving Contracts
The additional CAUBO moving company options are effective July 1, 2019. Any existing contracts or quotes negotiated before July 1, 2019 and/or moves contracted with QMM must be honoured.
If you have any questions, please contact UBC Relocation or your department administrator.
Contact Your Department Administrator
The terms of relocation assistance are negotiated by the hiring department and the new hire in advance and should be outlined in the offer letter.
We encourage you to contact your department administrator to discuss your options. Every move and relocation is different depending on the circumstances, guidelines and budget set by each department. The administrator in your hiring department will be able to help you navigate the moving company selection process and ensure a smooth experience.
Policy and Reimbursement Information
Please visit our Policy: Relocation and Travel page for information on Policy HR6 – Relocation (formerly Policy #82), which governs the relocation of faculty members and senior management staff. You will also find eligibility information on the UBC Central Relocation Fund.
Moving and relocation can be complex processes to coordinate because every move is different. If you have any enquiries about missing or damaged items, visit our Claims Process page for more details.
For more information
Visit our Relocation Contacts page for full details on who to connect with when it comes to moving and relocation services available through and administered by UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan.