Appointments eligible under the Relocation Policy
Individuals eligible for relocation funding (called “designated professionals” in the relocation policy) include tenure-stream and prospective tenure-stream faculty members, librarians, and senior management staff who are relocating to the UBC Campus from outside of Metro Vancouver or to the Okanagan campus from outside the Kelowna area. These individuals are eligible for reimbursement from UBC’s Central Relocation Fund, the fund that supports the relocation policy. Departments are free to provide additional relocation assistance from department budgets.
Eligible faculty and librarian positions include:
- Professor (tenure/tenure-track/grant tenure/grant tenure-track)
- Professor of Teaching (tenure/tenure-track/grant tenure/grant tenure-track)
- University Killam Professor
- Associate Professor (tenure/tenure-track/grant tenure/grant tenure-track)
- Assistant Professor (tenure/tenure-track/grant tenure/grant tenure-track)
- Acting Assistant Professor (tenure track/grant tenure-track)
- Instructor (tenure track/grant tenure-track)
- Senior Instructor (tenure/grant tenure)
- University Librarian
- Acting University Librarian
- General Librarian (confirmed/probation/grant confirmed/grant probation)
- Administrative Librarian (confirmed/probationary)
- Program Director (confirmed/probationary)
- If these faculty positions are considered to be temporary or visiting in nature, such as “without review” positions, or are in-term appointments, then they aren’t eligible for assistance from the Central Relocation Fund.
- Senior management staff are considered to be the President, Vice-Presidents (VPs) and Associate Vice-Presidents (AVPs). Any exceptions must be authorized by the Vice-President, Human Resources. Please contact Linda Casey or Joyce Wei to initiate a review.
Appointments not eligible under the Relocation Policy
Individuals filling other new positions that are temporary, visiting or sessional (including Post-Doctoral Fellows, Visiting Scholars, Research Associates, Sessional Lecturers and other staff not in senior management positions), aren’t eligible for financial assistance from the Central Relocation Fund, the UBC fund that supports the relocation policy. However, departments are free to provide relocation assistance to these individuals from their own budgets.
These individuals do however have the option to use UBC’s designated relocation companies, at their expense, for their moves to and from Canada. Through UBC and CAUBO’s negotiated agreements with three moving vendors, the same negotiated rates and tariffs are applicable to new hires who aren’t eligible under Policy HR6 – Relocation (formerly Policy #82). These individuals can contact the relocation coordinators for each moving company (see contact information here) for competitive moving quotes, and should be made aware of the following:
- They will be expected to make payment directly to the movers.
- They won’t need a purchase order to pay their relocation invoice.