Managing@UBC has been developed to provide personalized and customized learning for managers. In order to cater to your individual needs, the program adopts a self-directed learning approach where you can select from a menu of resources and access what is most relevant to you. As a participant, you will receive support from the Leadership Program Manager and will be assigned a Program Advisor who will help guide and direct your learning depending on your specific needs. Upon completion of a year in the program you will be entered into the Managing@UBC Community of Practice to continue discussions on management and leadership at the University.
All participants are expected to:
- Complete a leaderskills self-assessment
- Establish goals with a Program Advisor
- Create a Learning Path (a participant’s self-directed curriculum)
- Attend Jumpstart and Final Summit
- Access resources relevant to learning needs
- Form and participate in a Peer Learning Triangle
- Complete a 180 (self and boss) or a 360 assessment (self, boss, staff and colleagues) at the end of the year
- Respond to your Learning Path and note what you were able to achieve.
Managing@UBC’s holistic learning methodology incorporates the following:
- Two Leaderskill Self-Assessments: one at the beginning of program and one near the end.
- A Personal Learning Path for the program; developed with a Program Advisor
- Program Advising
- An initial 1 hour meeting to further orientate you to the program and help you establish your learning path.
- 6 month check to see if learning path goals are being met
- Year-end check in
- Workshops (Half-day):
- Jump Start Session (this is the program kick-off)
- Engaging your Staff through Positive Relationships
- Expand your Influence and Credibility
- From Goal Setting to Vision and Purpose
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Program Summit (this is the program finale).
- Lunch & Learns (1-2 hours)
- Studios (two-hours)
- Special day workshops
- E -Learning Modules (accessed through a password protected site)
- Coach-on-call available anytime throughout the program.
- Webinars offered as they come up.
- Peer to peer interactions
Find out what your participation in Managing@UBC can look like by viewing the testimonial video below.
By providing self-directed learning resources that you can tap into – in-person and online – we provide the framework for your leadership growth as a manager. You’ll also have the opportunity to learn and grow in a supportive environment with your peers and have a smoother adjustment and transition period into your new role.
This program is not meant to compete with other leadership initiatives on campus, but rather to complement them.