Please read the following information prior to registering for a Professional Development workshop offered by HR at the UBC Vancouver Campus.
It is recommended that you register early in order to reduce the likelihood of workshop cancellation and to ensure placement in workshops that fill quickly.
Please note that you will need an active Campus-Wide Login (CWL) to complete your workshop registration online.
- Search and select your workshop using the online Professional Development catalog.
- Under the “search” heading on the registration screen select “PD@UBC” as your program and pick your search scope and sort criteria.
- Click on the session date for the workshop you wish to attend.
- Follow the directions for online registration using your CWL; make sure to select a payment option. (See below for payment options and procedures.)
If you encounter problems with the online registration system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604.827.2317
Payment Forms Accepted
1) Journal Voucher (JV) for payment by department
2) Personal Cheque or Cash (made payable to UBC) for payment by registrant.
Clearly identify the registrant’s name and the workshop, on the JV or cheque.
Mail or deliver the completed JV or personal cheque to:
Professional Development at UBC
TEF 3, 600 – 6190 Agronomy Road
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3 MAP
3) Professional Development Funding Allocation. This method is an option for the majority of UBC employees. See below for special PD Fund application instructions to facilitate payment.
Note: Your UBC Tuition Fee Waiver benefit cannot be applied to HR Professional Development Workshop fees. Read about the Tuition Fee Waiver benefit.
Department Payment by Journal Voucher(JV)
If your department/unit is paying for your workshop, it is your responsibility to ensure either you or your unit’s financial administrator submits a completed Journal Voucher (JV) form to the PD @ UBC Program to complete your workshop registration.
On the Journal Voucher, include the following information:
- Your name, workshop title, and the workshop date in the JV description field;
- Your unit’s speed chart, account number, dept ID, PG and the workshop amount on the journal entry charge (debit) line and obtain an authorizing financial signature
Please send your completed JV form by campus mail to the PD @ UBC Program at the address above. Once received, the PD @ UBC Program will add the journal credit line details and process the Journal Voucher (JV) as your workshop payment. Do not send the JV form to UBC Finance.
Personal Cheque Payment
Please make your cheque payable to UBC and include the workshop name and date on the memo line. You may drop off or send the cheque by Campus Mail to the PD @ UBC Program at the address provided above.
Bring cash in person to UBC Human Resources at the address above. Do not send cash through Campus Mail.. If you will need a receipt, please email to email@example.com in advance. Cash payments must be in exact change, as we do not have a cash box for change on site.
Payment By Professional Development Funding
The following instructions apply to employees registering for workshops offered by HR at the UBC Vancouver Campus.
Eligible employees may pay for a Professional Development workshop fee using funding available through one of the UBC Professional Development Funding Programs.
- Confirm your PD Funding program eligibility and available balance through your Staff Self-Service Portal (click on Staff PD tab to view your available balance)
- Register in your selected Professional Development workshop by following the online registration procedures noted at the top of this webpage.
- Select PD Fund as your payment method during the online workshop registration process.
- Print out the PD Fund application form that you will find attached to a confirmation email you will receive at the time of workshop registration.
- Complete the authorizing signatures section of the form.
- Scan and email the signed form to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and at least five business days before your workshop.
- Once you submit your signed PD funding form to HR , we will and arrange payment of your Professional Development workshop on your behalf (no upfront payment required by you or your department)
If you are not eligible for funding you will be notified in advance. In this case, you will be required to use an alternate method of payment, or you must notify us of your cancellation at email@example.com as per the cancellation policy below.
If you would like to access the PD Funding programs for opportunities offered by any other learning provider at UBC or elsewhere, separate PD Fund applications procedures apply. Please refer to your applicable PD Funding Program for guidelines and reimbursement procedures. If you have any questions about the PD Funding Programs at UBC please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professional Development Workshop Payment, Refund and Cancellation Policy
Workshop Registration & Payments
After registering online, payment is due within five days. Registration is considered confirmed once payment has been made in full for the workshop – in the case of the use of Professional Development funds being used to pay for a workshop, registrations will be considered paid in full when the completed PD Fund form is received by the Professional Development Workshop Registration Desk . Individuals that have registered online but have not paid in full five days prior to the workshop will have their registration cancelled.
Refund and Cancellation
UBC Human Resources reserves the right to cancel or reschedule a course due to low enrolment or other unforeseen circumstances. If this occurs registrants will be contacted by email or by telephone at least five business days in advance of the date of the program, followed by written notification and a full refund. Please note, Human Resources is not responsible for expenses incurred beyond the enrollment fees (i.e. travel/ accommodation expenses).
Individual Cancellation or withdrawal request:
UBC Human Resources understands that schedules can change and despite a registrant’s best intentions they may not be able to attend a workshop. If a registrant is unable to attend the workshop an alternate delegate from the registrant’s department is welcome to attend in their place. If a substitute cannot be found, UBC Workplace Learning & Engagement will accept cancellations and issue refunds under the following conditions:
Request for cancellation must be received a minimum of five business days before the workshop begins (e.g. for a workshop beginning on a Wednesday notice of cancellation must be received by 4:30 pm the preceding Tuesday). To withdraw before five business days, please follow the steps below.
- Go to www.msp.ubc.ca and sign on to CWL.
- Go to HRMS Self Service tab.
- Click on Course History under myPD and Learning box and select ‘Drop Class’.
- Notify Marcela Medina at the Professional Development Workshop Registration Desk (email@example.com or 604.827.2317) to receive a full refund or to receive PD Fund payment reversal.
Cancellation due to illness: In cases of illness, there is no refund available for the missed workshop however we will offer a 50% credit to attend the same workshop at its next offering. (Email notification to firstname.lastname@example.org advising of illness must be received by 8am on the day of the registered workshop to qualify for this credit).
Note: We are not able to offer refunds on workshop fees for no shows or late course withdrawals for reasons other than illness. In order to avoid cancellation fees we encourage substitutions; however, it is the department’s , or in the case of PD Funds, the registrants, responsibility to find an alternate participant to attend. In the cases where the original registrant has accessed PD Funds to pay for the workshop the substitute must have own PD Fund balance or alternative payment method. The substitute cannot use the original registrants PD Funds.
Please contact Marcela Medina, Workplace Learning Associate, Human Resources at email@example.com or 604.827.2317