UBC, in collaboration with CUPE Local 116, has established a new funding program to support ongoing professional and skills development of CUPE 116 employees at the university. For the purposes of this funding program “professional development” (PD) is defined as those learning activities that will enhance the knowledge, skills, performance, or career progression of an employee’s work at the University.
Application Submission Update
Current Funding Year : 2016-2017 (April 1, 2016 – March 31, 2017)
Status of CUPE 116 PD Fund: Open and accepting PD expense claims
The budgeted funding pool is still available and anticipated to accommodate all eligible staff PD expense claims to March 31, 2017, the end of the current funding year.
Claim Submission Deadline: March 31, 2017 to access your current funding balance. Any remaining balance as of March 31 will not carry-forward to the next funding year on April 1.
You may submit claims for professional development related expenses purchased within the past 60 days. You may register and submit an expense claim by March 31 for a learning activity that occurs next funding year. However, you can not split and allocate a portion of an individual expense to the two different funding years.
Next Funding Year : April 1, 2017 – March 31, 2018 . If you have exhausted your available balance for this current funding year, new funds will become available to you as of April 1, 2017. Eligible claim submissions for the next funding year will be accepted as of April 1, 2017.
- How to Apply for Reimbursement
- HR Review & Reimbursement Process
- Information for Managers
- Contact Information
How to Apply for Reimbursement
CUPE 116 employees who are eligible for funding should follow these steps in order to access the PD Fund:
- confirm your PD Fund eligibility and available balance through Faculty & Staff Self-Service (click on the “Staff PD tab” in Self-Service to view PD Fund details);
- review the CUPE 116 PD Fund Guidelines (PDF);
- confirm your manager’s support for your PD Fund request prior to purchase;
- register & pay for your PD activity or arrange to have your department pay upfront on your behalf;
- complete the PD Expense Claim form (PDF );
- attach required receipts & supporting documentation as described on the claim form;
- send the completed application by campus mail or drop off in person within 60 days of your original purchase/payment date:
Human Resources – PD Funding Programs
600 – 6190 Agronomy Road (Tef3)
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3
Emailed claim forms are not accepted
How To Pay for an HR Professional Development Workshop with PD Funding
- Employees in the CUPE 116 employment group are eligible to access up to $500 in funding out of the available budget each year. The funding year follows the UBC Fiscal Year (April 1 – March 31).
- The maximum amount noted above is prorated for employees working in positions that are less than a 0.53 FTE (typically applies to staff working less than 20 hours per week on average). For example, a 0.40 FTE position (2 workdays per week) x $500 =$200 prorated maximum amount.
- UBC Aquatic Centre employees are ineligible for this funding program.
Professional & Skills Development Activity Eligibility:
Expenses must be related to professional and skills development activities that enhance the knowledge, skills, performance or career progression of your work at the University. The fund may not be accessed for any other purpose.
Details on typical PD activities such as courses, workshops, conferences and out-of-town travel, exams, resource books, or professional memberships covered by the fund and a list of common excluded expenses can be found in the CUPE 116 PD Fund guidelines (PDF) 4.1.1 and 4.2.
Review & Reimbursement Process
The PD Fund Coordinators in UBC Human Resources will review your submitted PD Expense claim to ensure it:
- is within your available individual funding limit,
- is consistent with the CUPE 116 PD Fund guidelines, and
- includes all required signatures, receipts and back-up documentation.
Claims submitted that do not meet the above criteria will be declined funding support by Human Resources.
You will receive a confirmation email once your claim has been reviewed and processed. Please note that the reimbursement process may take up to 15 business days. If you submit an incomplete application to the PD Fund the reimbursement process will be delayed.
If you paid the upfront costs out of pocket, you will be reimbursed by direct bank deposit. If the upfront costs were paid by your department on your behalf, the PD fund coordinator will arrange reimbursement to your department by Journal Voucher transfer. If you applied for PD Funding to pay for a Professional Development workshop offered through Human Resources, the PD fund coordinator will arrange payment on your behalf.
Information for Managers
UBC is a place where the learning never stops. Managers at UBC partner with employees by engaging in career development conversations and by providing resources to support development efforts.
This funding program for staff in the CUPE 116 employment group is a new resource intended to support employee access to learning activities that will enhance their current job related knowledge, skills and performance as well as to pursue development activities that will be of future use to their career at the University.
Please note that the CUPE 116 PD Fund does not cover job required training /upgrading or professional membership expenses. Please do not submit these expenses for funding support. Please refer to CUPE 116 PD guideline 4.4.
For further information, guidance and promotional material please refer to our Manager’s toolkit:
- Information for Managers
- Letter to Managers (Nov. 18, 2015)
- Letter to Employees (Dec. 1, 2015)
Contact Cathy Faulconer, Workplace Learning Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.822.6314