Supporting Professional Development for CUPE 2950 Employees
Job Skills Training Program (JSTP) funding is available to support the professional development needs of staff in the CUPE 2950 employment group.
The intent of the Job Skills Training Program is to encourage and support employees to access learning activities that will enhance current job performance as well as to support skill development that will open up opportunities for transfer and promotion throughout the University, thereby contributing to ongoing job security.
2013-2014 Funding Year Update for the JSTP
Current JSTP Funding Year: April 1, 2013 – March 31, 2014
Status of Fund: Open and accepting applications
Updated: JSTP Guidelines
NEW: Please note the following changes to the JSTP, which the University has made in consultation with CUPE 2950. These changes are intended to improve staff access to the Fund and simplify the overall PD Expense claims process. Read more.
Changes for 2013-2014 Funding Year:
- Individual funding limit for JSTP Fund set at $1,000 ($200 decrease)
- Discontinuation of quarterly allocation of PD Funds, returning to annual system where all funds are released at once. Funds distributed to staff on a first come, first served basis until end of fund year or exhaustion of the available budgeted funds
- Activity start date no longer defines the timing of a JSTP submission
- All receipts must be submitted within 60 days of the original purchase date.
NEW: Lynda.com – FREE Online Software Training and Tutorials for all CUPE 2950 Staff
HR is excited to announce that UBC administrative support staff have free access to Lynda.com, an industry leading software and technology online training service. sponsored by the JSTP through monies set aside for this group-wide educational opportunity. Registration information is available on our HR online software training webpage.
We encourage staff to access Lynda.com prior to requesting JSTP funding for alternative software training providers.
JSTP Supported Professional Development Activities
All PD activities must be related to current job enhancement or career progression at the University. The fund can not be used for any other purpose. Additional details can be found in the JSTP Guidelines.
Typical professional development activities include: courses, workshops, certificate/diploma and academic degree programs, conferences, textbooks/ resource books, and professional memberships. Travel expenses may also be considered on a case by case basis.
Please note: Authorizing managers should not request a staff person to access the JSTP Fund to cover skill development required for, or integral to, the effective functioning of the position (JSTP Fund Guideline 3.7) as these expenses should be covered by the department/unit.
Employees belonging to the CUPE 2950 employment group staff are eligible to apply for up to $1,000 in funding reimbursements each UBC fiscal year, April 1 – March 31. The annual funding limit is pro-rated for staff working less than .50 FTE.
Funding applications are approved on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to the availability of the overall budgeted funds for the year.
How to Apply
First, in consultation with your manager:
- review the JSTP Guidelines (PDF), updated June 1, 2013
- identify an activity that will assist with your professional development here at UBC
- proceed with Option 1, 2 or 3 ( option 3 applies to UBC HR – MOST courses only)
Option 1: Submit a JSTP PD expense claim for reimbursement
- complete a JSTP application form (PDF)
- pay upfront for your PD activity
- attach receipts & any required supporting documentation to your JSTP form
- mail your completed form and receipts to UBC Human Resources within 60 days of the PD activity purchase date
Option 2: Request a funding pre-approval for a PD activity expense prior to your upfront purchase
- complete a JSTP application form (PDF)
- fax or mail your application form to Human Resources prior to registering yourself in your PD activity and at least 2 weeks prior to your activity start.
- wait for the JSTP Coordinator to send you an email notification of PD pre-approval (typically 5-10 business days)
- pay upfront for your eligible PD activity
- send in your receipts & any required supporting documentation within 60 days of the original purchase date
Option 3 – Access JSTP to pay for one of HR’s MOST workshops
- register in your selected MOST workshop using MOST online registration system
- select JSTP as your payment method during the online registration process
- print out the customized JSTP application form that is auto generated and emailed you at the time of workshop registration
- complete the authorizing signatures section of the form
- fax the form to Human Resources at 604- 822-8134
- the JSTP Coordinator will arrange payment of your MOST workshop on your behalf (no upfront payment required)
Campus Mailing Address
JSTP Funding Program
Human Resources, UBC
350 – 2075 Wesbrook Mall, GSAB
When to Apply
You may submit a JSTP claim as soon as you have made your upfront purchase and have your receipts and additional back up documentation on hand (see option 1 above). Alternatively, if you choose to submit a request for pre-approval of your claim prior to your upfront purchase (see option 2 above ), you are welcome to submit your completed JSTP form as soon as you know all the the registration details of your PD activity and you are prepared to make a purchase.*
In either case, receipts must be submitted to Human Resources within 60 days of the original PD expense purchase date (as shown on receipt). Please note that after 60 days from the original date of purchase, the PD expense will no longer be eligible for JSTP funding support.
For MOST workshops: please submit your auto-filled JSTP form as soon as possible after online workshop registration is complete .
* This is a change from our previous quarterly allocation funding framework which required applicants to pay special attention to the timing of activity start date in order to submit a claim or request for pre-approval. The start date of an activity no longer defines the timing of a JSTP submission.
Approval & Reimbursement Process
The JSTP Coordinator in Human Resources will review your application to ensure it is consistent with the purpose and principles of JSTP, authorized by your manager, and within your available funding limits. You will receive an email to confirm the status of your application.
If you pay the upfront costs out of pocket, you will be reimbursed by direct bank deposit. If the upfront costs are paid by your department on your behalf, the JSTP Coordinator will reimburse your department by Journal Voucher transfer.
The reimbursement process make take up to 3 weeks.
Required Documentation for a JSTP Reimbursement
Reimbursement to Employee by Direct Deposit: Submit your original receipts to Human Resources If your receipt does not clearly note your name & PD activity, please include additional documentation that confirms this information
Reimbursement to a Department by JV Transfer: Submit a copy of the receipt and a copy of the original payment method (Q-Req, TR-Req, P-Card statement) along with your department speedchart / account code information. If your receipt does not clearly note your name & PD activity please include additional documentation that confirms this information
Employees on Recall
Priority funding will be provided to displaced employees or those with impending layoffs. Special application procedures apply. Please contact Susanna Mulligan, PD Funds Manager at 604.822.9273 for details.