By Robert Boudreau on November 21, 2018
Payroll Portfolios Reassigned
To better serve customers, Payroll has reassigned portfolios for both faculty and staff. Please visit the “Payroll Contacts for Staff” and “Payroll Contacts for Faculty” hyperlinks on this page to get familiar with the portfolio updates.
Mandatory Privacy and Information Security Training:
Per Professor Ono’s broadcast email of October 11, 2018, the UBC Executive has made the online ‘Privacy and Information Security – Fundamentals’ training mandatory for all faculty, staff, researchers, student employees and contractors who use UBC Electronic Information and Systems.
Training is taken in Canvas and records of completion are transferred into HRMS. HRMS Administrators can run Query 908 or 910 to check completion for their employees.
Note: HR administrators are requested to complete their training as a matter of priority.
What causes completion records to not show up in HRMS for your employees?
- A delay in HRMS receiving new training records from Canvas (up to 2 days).
- An individual not fully completing the training (the employee can log into Canvas to verify completion).
- An employee using a CWL to sign on to Canvas that has no employee ID associated with it.
- This most often occurs with student employees.
- Instructions on how a CWL user can associate an employee ID can be found here.
- This likely will require assistance from you (providing the employee number and PIN they’ll need to do the association).
- PIN’s can be found in HRMS by using the following navigation: Workforce Administration, Personal Information, Biographical, Modify a Person. The employee’s PIN is in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Once an employee ID is associated with a CWL, it may take up to 24 hours for training records to be updated into HRMS.
With proof of completion, it’s also possible for departmental administrators to update an employee’s training records in HRMS manually. Please refer to December 2016 HRMS bulletin for instructions.
If you have any concerns or questions on the above, please contact email@example.com
By Robert Boudreau on December 14, 2016
Training records imported into HRMS
UBC Faculty & Staff (including student employees) are expected to participate in training across a number of topics. Many of these courses are mandatory.
To make tracking easier, effective immediately Bullying and Harassment Prevention and Privacy & Information Security – Fundamentals training records are now being imported into HRMS. This includes newly taken training and a one-time catch up of historical records for these two courses.
This means there is no longer a requirement to track employee completion in spreadsheets. However, we recommend (for Bullying and Harassment Prevention in particular) that you cross check your records against what is now in HRMS to ensure all records were imported successfully.
How are training records accessed in HRMS?
- Run HRMS Query 910_TRAINING_SNAPSHOT to track training completion for both courses.
- Access training records on-line: Workforce Development > Competency Management > Track Person Competencies > Education
Faculty and Staff:
- Training information is available in HRMS Self Service via the ‘Course History’ hyperlink in the ‘myPD and Learning section’.
Why would training records be missing?
This may be a temporary problem as it may take up to two days for records to transfer from the training systems into HRMS.
We may never get the records:
- Successful importation of training records relies heavily on HRMS identifying the employee ID of the person taking the training.
- When signing up for training a trainee may have used a CWL account not associated with their employee ID, or used an email address that we could not translate to an employee ID.
- This will result in missing training records. See next bullet on how to correct this.
What to do if an administrator or an employee spots missing training records?
Only an HRMS administrator can add missing training records.
With proof of completion, an administrator can manually add missing training records online in HRMS via screen:
- Workforce Development > Competency Management > Track Person Competencies > Education.
- The course code for Bullying and Harassment Prevention is BULHAR and for Privacy & Information Security – Fundamentals is PRSECF.
As mentioned above, always wait at least two days in the event records are late in transferring.
Who do you contact for more information?
- For Bullying and Harassment Prevention, please visit the website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Privacy Matters, please visit the website or contact email@example.com.
- If you have questions about the new HRMS training report or the import of training records into HRMS, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org