As part of UBC’s Housing Action Plan, UBC has created a Rent-Geared-to-Income pilot program to provide rental housing on campus for up to 100 lower income staff households, to be phased in over the next two to three years. Rent will be geared to 30% of pre-tax household income, rather than a set percentage discount from market rates.
Action: Please share this information with eligible staff in your units. The deadline for this year’s applications is March 22, 2018.
Program highlights include:
- 50 spaces approved this year;
- 1- to 3-bedroom units available, depending on number of children in the household;
- Selection will be by lottery for the first round pilot assignments and then by waitlist; and
- Subject to eligibility, applicants may remain in the program up to 10 years.
- Be full-time staff in good standing (Vancouver campus including local hospital sites) with one year or more of work experience at UBC (or term employees with three or more years of continuous service); and
- Fall under maximum gross household income and asset thresholds (see the program page for full details).
For further information and application details please visit: http://www.hr.ubc.ca/housing-relocation/housing/rental/rgi/. Inquiries may be directed to email@example.com.
The program was approved in June, 2017, as a Board-approved policy commitment (Policy #5) of the Housing Action Plan.