At UBC, departmental First Aid attendants are trained in Level 1 first aid to provide quick response to minor injuries. For more serious injuries in the workplace, UBC has a central Mobile First Aid unit. Mobile First Aid at the Vancouver campus is provided for employees (by the Vancouver Fire Department) by calling 604-822-4444 (or 2-4444 from a university telephone). This service is available 24/7.
In the event of an emergency or serious injury, call 911, then call Mobile First Aid at 2-4444.
What happens when an employee calls 604-822-4444?
- Calls to 604-822-4444 go to the non-emergency dispatch within the Metro Vancouver E-Comm Centre.
- Workplace first aid incidents are directed to the Vancouver Fire Department for response.
- All Fire Department Responders have Occupational First Aid Level 2 or higher certification.
When an employee calls 604-822-4444, they should:
- Provide information on the condition of the patient;
- Know the address of the building;
- Send someone out to the main entrance to direct the Fire Department to the location of the patient.
Full information on first aid at UBC can be found at http://rms.ubc.ca/health-safety/safety-programs/first-aid/workplace-first-aid-for-employees/.