Late last week, there was a stranger sexual assault on campus. You are encouraged to pay extra attention to your surroundings, reach out for assistance if you need it and speak up if you see something suspicious.
You have options for getting around campus after dark:
- Call AMS Safewalk (604-822-5355) to have someone accompany you to your destination between 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Take the Translink Community Shuttle, which operates on a fixed route and stops near residence (www.transportation.ubc.ca).
- Walk with a friend or colleague.
- Use UBC Blue Phones to connect directly with UBC Campus Security.
- If you find yourself alone late at night on campus after these other services have stopped running for the evening, please call Campus Security at 604-822-2222 (put this number in your phone) or use a UBC Blue Phone and a security patrol will accompany you to your campus destination.
One of the best ways to stay safe, and keep others safe, is to look out for each other. Everyone plays a role in making UBC’s Vancouver campus a safe and welcoming place.
There are a number of things that UBC administrators can do to make UBC spaces safe and secure for faculty and staff in your units, and for students in your buildings.
Lights & Infrastructure
If there are any burned out lights or other infrastructure problems in your building that may contribute to a lack of security, please submit a service request to Building Operations. If you need immediate assistance, call the Building Operations Service Centre at 604-822-2173.
Access & Security
It’s important that we all work together to keep UBC spaces safe and secure. This means keeping secure areas locked and closing all doors and windows when we leave a room for a period of time. In addition, check to make sure that locked doors are not propped open. If someone unfamiliar tries to follow you into a secure area, ask about their purpose there if you feel safe to do so, or you can contact Campus Security with your concerns.
With exams coming up soon, we will have more students looking for quiet spaces to study, and that can sometimes include empty classrooms. Please keep an eye out for everyone during this busy season.
If you have questions about the secure access to your building, please contact Access Services.
UBC has policies in place to keep employees safe when working alone. This includes faculty and staff as well as student employees. If you have questions about UBC’s Working Along procedures, please contact Risk Management.