Please share this with any of your M&P staff who have direct reports
Human Resources is opening a limited number of spaces to the Managing@UBC Program for any management and professional staff who have direct reports.
Do you want to increase your management effectiveness and understanding of what it means to manage and lead at UBC? The Managing@UBC Program will immediately add value by helping you respond to issues and questions you have as a manager. By participating in this self-directed year-long program, you will understand your strengths as a manager, learn how to engage your employees, enhance your ability to take a coach approach, and be connected to a community of UBC leaders. Every participant co-develops a curriculum with an assigned program advisor. Your individual learning needs will guide where you spend your time in the program; however, you have the option to select from online lessons, coaches, workshops, lunch & learns, and studios. To fully benefit from the program, you can expect to spend one to two days of your time per month for 12 months.
Over 500 managers have participated in Managing@UBC since 2008, and continue to learn through our community of practice led by the program’s alumni to which you are eligible once you graduate.
There are currently three options for management and professional staff to enter the Managing@UBC Program:
UBC Management Onboarding and Orientation
If you have been in your management role for less than one year, and are directly responsible for one or more staff
- When to register: open registration all year round
- When to start: when you have the time to commit during your first year
- Duration: 12 months
- Intake numbers: unlimited
- Cost: absorbed by central Human Resources ($2,500 value)
Evolving Your Leadership
If you have been in your management role for more than one year and are directly responsible for one or more staff
- When to register: open registration, first-come, first-served
- When to start: now
- Duration: 12 months
- Intake numbers: Limited; 15 spots in September, 2015, and another 15 spots will be available in January, 2016. Available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Cost: $750 payable by employee or unit; remainder subsidized by Human Resources.
Managing@UBC Intercultural Certificate
If you have been in your management role for any length of time and are interested in an intercultural focus and developing the University’s capacity to talk about diversity
- When to register: from September 2015-August 2016
- When to start: September 2016
- Duration: 18 months
- Intake numbers: Limited; 6-12 each intake
- Costs: vary depending on selected focus; possible subsidization from UBC
Human Resources is continuously developing new ways for employees to explore leadership/management practices at UBC. Please stay tuned in for other opportunities.