For HR Administrators and those who assist faculty and senior staff with relocating to UBC.
The University provides relocation and travel assistance to eligible faculty and senior management staff in accordance with Policy #82. Information about the relocation policy and related processes may be found on the UBC Human Resources relocation website: www.hr.ubc.ca/relocation/.
To qualify for reimbursement from central relocation funds, new hires must use UBC’s designated relocation and moving vendor, Quality Move Management (QMM). New hires who relocate themselves (ie. packing, driving rental truck, unpacking) may still be eligible for reimbursement from central relocation funds. However, if any other moving company besides QMM and its contractors are utilized, then reimbursement from central relocation funds is not available. By having a single relocation provider, the University was able to achieve very competitive rates as well as manage the relationship directly with the contracted vendor.
You will find the guidelines and information on receiving relocation assistance from central relocation funds here: www.hr.ubc.ca/relocation/guide-department/.
Here is some relevant information that may be helpful to you:
- To facilitate the movement of household good and personal effects, Quality Move Management (QMM), UBC’s designated moving vendor, requires departments and the new hire to complete the UBC Contact Information Sheet. It is recommended that departments complete the Department Contact information section first and the new hire completes the rest of the form that is forwarded to the QMM Relocation Coordinator.
- It is important that the new hire deal with the QMM Relocation Coordinator throughout the move, even if one of the contracted partners is being utilized for the relocation. The contracted partner may not understand all of the terms and conditions that UBC and QMM have negotiated and this may cause problems and delays in the relocation services and higher than expected costs.
- If any changes to the Purchase Order are required, departments will need to complete the Relocation Change Request to the Active Purchase Order form and submit the form directly to Supply Management.
- QMM will send the estimated quote to both the new hire and the department contact. Also, QMM will send the invoice directly to the department contact for payment authorization instead of to Accounts Payable.
- It is recommended that departments pay or reimburse for eligible relocation expenses from departmental budgets. Please use account code 634000 for relocation and moving expenses and 634001 for any relocation expenses that are considered taxable benefits. Once the reimbursement to the new hire is complete, the department may then submit a Relocation Reimbursement Claim Form to obtain reimbursement from Central Relocation Funds back to departmental budgets.
Your feedback is important to us, whether it be about our website and its content, or the services provided by QMM – please contact Joyce Wei, Relocation Administrator, in Human Resources at (604) 822-6865 or email@example.com.