Welcome to the UBC Community
New hire? Welcome to your new career with UBC!
As a UBC community member, you are an integral part of our dynamic organization. We hope that your employment here will be successful, rewarding and enjoyable.
Our goal at Housing & Relocation Services is to ensure that you are able to get answers to the many questions you will have during your first few weeks and months at the University. Working together, we will help provide an easy transition to your new work environment and city.
Welcome to UBC – Orientation Program
- For Staff Orientations please contact Sara Sawatzky at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604.827.1876
- For Faculty Orientations please contact Emily Renoe at email@example.com or call 604.822.0836
- For research related orientations, visit the website of the Office of the Vice President Research + Innovation.
- For general purpose relocation orientation – come see us!
UBC Fast Facts 2017/18
UBC is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
- 65,012 total students at both campuses (Vancouver and Okanagan)
- 16,188 international students from 156 countries
- 13,237 degrees granted in 2017
- 207 companies spun off from UBC research
- $2.6-billion annual operating budget
- 16,089 faculty and staff
- Canada’s 1st Fair Trade campus
See UBC Overview & Facts for more interesting UBC statistics.
Campus Map & Wayfinding
Several maps of UBC’s campuses are available, as well as directions to campus locations.
Academic & Governance Information
UBC is centered on two main campuses (Vancouver and Okanagan).
The British Columbia University Act confers on UBC’s Board of Governors the responsibility for the management, administration and control of the property, revenue, business and affairs of the University.
The Academic governance of the University is vested in two senates: the UBC Vancouver Senate and the UBC Okanagan Senate.
In accordance with the strategic framework and directions of the Board of Governors and the Senates, the President, supported by the Provost and senior Executive team, provides oversight and direction for the operation of the University.
If you would like to know more…
Once you’re at UBC, you’ll have access to arts, culture, gardens, sports, and recreational opportunities right here on campus. Take in a play, see an art exhibit, hear a symphony, walk through the gardens, go for a swim, or grab a bite to eat! Visit the UBC Attractions website to learn more about on-campus activities.