Child Care & Schooling in Kelowna

On-Campus Child Care

University Children’s Learning Centre provides spaces for the children of students, faculty and staff at UBC’s Okanagan campus. We suggest you inquire early about available space as there tends to be a wait-list.

Other Child Care Resources

Child Care Resource and Referral provides information, referrals, training and resources to families and care givers. Services also include the active recruitment of “license not required” caregivers (LNRs) around Kelowna and the accessibility to toy library services. Child Care Resource and Referral can provide you with a list of group childcare centres and other current childcare openings in the Okanagan Region. Email or call 250-762-3536 ex. 202 for available childcare or before/after school care.

The Kelowna Community Website provides information and lists for child care and child care development facilities in the Kelowna area.

Kelowna Family YMCA provides preschool, out of school care, and day camps to Kelowna families.

Boys and Girls Club of Kelowna provides a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life.

Enrolling Your Children in Kelowna Elementary or Secondary Schools

Upon arrival to the Okanagan, foreign nationals are required to go to the Welcome Centre for a letter of enrollment prior to registering your children at a school. Children cannot enroll in school until your family arrives in the country, you have applied for BC’s Medical Services Plan, and a tenancy agreement shows that you have an Okanagan address. You will also be asked for three supporting documents that show you have relocated to the Okanagan (such as a bank statement, your work permit, or a utility bill).

After successfully enrolling your children, they will be allocated to a preferred school in your catchment area or one close by if the preferred school(s) are full. If you arrive in the summer and your children are starting school in September, you may not find out the school they have been allocated until late August.

If you are relocating from within Canada, you can register directly at the school of your choice but priorities are given to people closest in the catchment area.

Foreign Nationals & International Fees: Your work permit must be valid for a full year in order for children to register in school without paying international fees.