UBC Hiring Solutions uses the services of two outside agencies, Miles Employment Group and Altis, as a “back-up” to our roster of temporary employees.
UBC has restrictions on the hiring of back-up agency employees by departments. UBC Hiring Solutions has the right to consider the back-up agency employee for its roster before an individual department because:
- it is an important part of UBC Hiring Solutions process and livelihood
- UBC Hiring Solutions has purposely negotiated terms with the back-up agency in order that the back-up agency’s employees ‘feed’ the UBC Hiring Solutions roster after a specified period of time
- the contract is between the back-up agency and UBC: UBC Hiring Solutions acts as an representative of UBC
- it maintains equity with current UBC Hiring Solutions employees: UBC Hiring Solutions employees must complete the probationary period (66 working days) before being allowed to apply for CUPE positions; if back-up temporary employees were allowed to apply for positions directly, it would undermine the restrictions set up forUBC Hiring Solutions employees
UBC Hiring Solutions discourages departments from hiring back-up agency employees because:
- the back-up agency employee is on his / her best behaviour while on his / her assignment through the agency; most back-up agency employees are keen to be hired at UBC and will show excellent performance in order to be attractive to the hiring department
- it has been UBC Hiring Solutions experience that on occasion the back-up agency employee’s performance drops after the department hires them, and UBC Hiring Solutions is then held responsible for the situation
UBC Hiring Solutions strongly suggests that departments allow us to interview and consider the back-up agency employee. UBC Hiring Solutions must invite the back-up agency’s employee in for testing and an interview in a timely manner.
If UBC Hiring Solutions finds the back-up agency employee to be a good candidate for UBC employment, we will hire the back-up agency employee and will continue to place him / her with the department. This affords the department the opportunity to observe the back-up agency employee’s performance once she / he has the security of UBC employment. If issues arise, we will deal with any necessary discipline.
If UBC Hiring Solutions finds the back-up agency employee to be unsatisfactory, we will advise the department of its decision. The department will then be given the option to replace the back-up agency employee or hire him / her directly. (Some candidates are not good candidates for the temporary pool but may prove to be good candidates for that particular position. It is not our mandate to make hiring difficult for departments.)
If the department would like to continue pursuing the hire of the back-up agency employee without allowing UBC Hiring Solutions to test and interview the back-up agency employee, we will require a placement fee be paid (a finder’s fee, if you will).
Application restrictions are in place for both UBC Hiring Solutions employees and back-up agency’s employees for a variety reasons. Departmental administrators wishing to discuss the reasoning behind any of these restrictions should contact UBC Hiring Solutions directly.