By Miranda Massie on March 7, 2018
UBC’s favourite departmental funding program is back! Applications are now being accepted for the Healthy Workplace Initiatives Program (HWIP).
In support of UBC departments and units that are interested in promoting wellbeing in the workplace, the HWIP provides start-up funds for health-related activities. The program has previously funded grassroots initiatives such as yoga classes, health challenges, mental health training and creative activities.
In 2017, the HWIP funded the following in Vancouver and the Okanagan:
- Seven bike share programs
- Six fitness classes
- Six health challenges
- Four patio gardens
- Two mental health programs
- Two arts-based projects
- 12 innovative new ideas
Do you and your colleagues have a great idea for boosting the health and wellbeing of your team? Need a little financial assistance to supplement department resources? Consider applying today. Deadline for applications is April 18, 2018.
Full details, including regulations, funding toolkits and application forms can be found on the HWIP page.
By Miranda Massie on December 7, 2017
In support of UBC’s commitment to workplace health and wellbeing, HR has secured special, one-time funds to subsidize the costs associated with offering a unique professional development opportunity to UBC Vancouver faculty and staff.
Developed at Google and founded in neuroscience, Search Inside Yourself (SIY) is a unique training program that uses emotional intelligence and mindfulness to optimize performance, build leadership skills and increase wellbeing. The SIY program consists of:
- 2-day, in-person, cohort-based training taught by SIY-certified instructors (January 15 and 16, 2018 at UBC Vancouver)
- 4 weeks of follow-up exercises, content and cohort conversations via email (approx. mid-January to mid-February)
- 1-hour debrief session via webinar to integrate learning, answer questions and provide direction going forward (approx. late February)
Cost: $50 per person (eligible for PD funding). Registration deadline: January 5, 2018.
Spots are limited and are filled on a first come, first served basis. Register now!
For more information, including program benefits and what’s included in the cost of the program, visit the Search Inside Yourself webpage.
By Melissa Lafrance on January 10, 2017
Faculty and Staff at UBC have the opportunity learn and practice mindfulness through two programs this spring:
1. Take the first steps to learning about mindfulness with the 30 Day Mindfulness Challenge 6 – March 7, 2017.
Format: Online, 10 minutes a day. Suitable for everyone, especially those with no mindfulness experience or those looking for support in incorporating mindfulness into busy day-to-day life.
2. Go in-depth and further your practice with the Mindfulness@Work program April 10 – May 15, 2017.
Format: In-person and homework practice, 1.5 hours per week for six weeks. Suitable for everyone, especially those looking to expand their knowledge behind the science of mindfulness and its applicability in the workplace.
The 30-day Mindfulness Challenge is an innovative and evidence-based online training for UBC staff and faculty looking to incorporate mindfulness into the workplace and in their everyday lives. With 10 minutes a day for 30 days, participants will be healthier, more productive and better able to problem-solve and work effectively in a team.
|How it Works:||Key Impact Areas:|
Register for the Online Challenge Now until February 3!
- UBC Vancouver staff and faculty registration link
- Submit the $25 registration fee (cash, cheque payable to UBC Human Resources, or journal voucher to KPGK) to Melissa Lafrance, Human Resources, 600 – 6190 Agronomy Rd, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3.
The six-week, in-person training program will run April, 2017. For those looking for a more in-depth mindfulness training, Mindfulness@Work specifically focuses on integrating the practice of mindfulness in the workplace to promote effectiveness, teamwork, and communication.
- Delivers expert-led and evidence-based programming
- Content is delivered and classes are led by a mindfulness expert
- Learn and practice meditation and core Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
How it works:
- 5-10 minutes per day
- Online, anytime, any device
- 30 consecutive days
- $25 to join which includes participation of a buddy of your choice
Key Impact Areas:
- Health and wellbeing
- Leadership and resiliency
- Increased performance
- Teamwork and conflict resolution
Spring 2017 Program
Mondays, 9:00 – 10:15am: April 10, 18 (Tuesday), 24 & May 1, 8, 15
Retreat (mandatory): Saturday, May 6, 10:00am – 2:00pm
Register for Mindfulness@Work Program now until April 6!
- UBC Vancouver staff and faculty registration link
- Submit the $100 registration fee (cash, cheque payable to UBC Human Resources, or journal voucher to KPGK) to Melissa Lafrance, Human Resources, 600 – 6190 Agronomy Rd, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3
- Most staff & faculty have the option to access one of UBC’s professional development funding programsto cover the $100 registration fee. Learn more about PD funds here.
Posted in Events, Mental Health, Mindful Moments | Tagged 30 day challenge, attention, Focus, mental health, Mindfulness, mindfulness@work, Mindwell U, program, registration, stress relief, training | Leave a response
By Colin Hearne on January 7, 2015
With the brand new year firmly in swing, now is the perfect time to connect with the wide range of Health, Fitness and Family discounts available to UBC staff and faculty on and off campus.
At UBC the physical grandeur is yours to take in, the intellectual stimulation yours to embrace. The art and cultural opportunities are wide open for your enjoyment, the recreational opportunities are waiting; and the events schedule is always active. Whatever your interests, chances are you’ll discover opportunities to fulfill them here. Check out the full list to see where you can save.
- Beaty Biodiversity Museum
- Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
- Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery
- Pacific Museum of the Earth
- The Old Barn Community Centre
- UBC Aquatic Centre
- UBC Botanical and Nitobe Gardens
- UBC Museum of Anthropology
- UBC Student Recreation Centre and the BirdCoop Fitness Centre
- UBC Bodyworks Fitness Centre
- UBC Food Services
- UBC Theatre
- University Golf Club
Many businesses and service providers in Metro Vancouver offer discounted rates to UBC staff and faculty. To take advantage of these discounts, you will need a valid UBC Faculty/Staff card. Check out the full list of participating merchants to see where you can save.
- Body and Soul Fitness
- Bikram Yoga Vancouver
- City of Burnaby
- Curves Women’s Gym and Fitness Centre West Point Grey
- Dailey Method Vancouver
- Gold’s Gym-UBC
- Hot Box Yoga
- iDance Vancouver
- Moksha Yoga Vancouver
- Thara Vayali – Naturopathic Doctor
- Parking – Vancouver Airport
- Pure Vibe Fitness Studio
- Richmond Olympic Oval
- Sunberry Fitness Richmond
- The Exercise Movement
- The PNE
- Urban Fitness Club
- Vancouver Parks and Recreation
- West Coast Hot Yoga
- YWCA Health and Fitness Centre
UBC does not endorse external service providers – these listings are for informational purposes only.
Posted in Benefits Spotlight, Colin Hearne, EFAP, Information Update, Nutrition, Physical Health | Tagged attention, Meditation, Mindfulness, mindfulness@work, program, training, work, workshops | Leave a response