By Melissa Lafrance on July 4, 2018
Summer is here! What better way to enjoy the nice weather and nature than with an al fresco outing. To kick-off summer this July, we are exploring picnic ideas and tricks, as well as delicious recipes for a nourishing and fun outdoor meal, whether it’s in a park, at the beach, or a building rooftop. Read on to learn more.
Week 1: Pack with Ease
- Opt for reusable over disposable. Check out BC Living’s picnic packing list for ideas on what to bring.
- Mason jars or repurposed glass jars are perfect for carrying liquids or anything that could potentially leak. Check out these 26 portioned meals in a jar by Greatist.
Week 2: Seriously Sizzling
- Looking for vegetarian options? Explore BBC Good Food’s collection of vegetarian picnic recipes.
- If you need recipe ideas for your next summer BBQ cookout or picnic, check out this collection of summer BBQ picnic foods made healthier.
- If you are grilling burgers and/or sausages (meat or veg), spice ‘em up with Pampered Chef’s ultimate list of toppings and Kitchn’s how to quick pickle any vegetable (no canning required).
Week 3: Snack Attack and H2O Hydration
- Build your own healthy trail mix with this recipe from The Healthy Maven.
- Don’t forget to bring water in a reusable water bottle or try a cool summer beverage idea by making your own no-sugar-added iced tea (Eating Well) or jazzing up your water with fruits, vegetables and herbs thanks to these flavoured water recipes (Food Network).
Week 4: Sandwiches and Sweet Stuff
- Need inspiration to create a delicious sandwich? Check out Tablespoon’s grilled vegetable on focaccia recipe and caprese picnic sandwiches.
- Think outside the bread and try these deconstructed sandwiches on a stick (Food Network).
- Watermelon: there’s nothing better on a hot summer day. Here are five ways to cut it according to WikiHow.
- Try making summer melon slushies (Woman’s Day) and berry trifle in a jar (All Recipes).
Looking for more ideas?
Each week in July, we will be sharing tips, tricks and recipes to help you a picnic with a punch! Become a UBC Health Contact to receive weekly reminders.