By Melissa Lafrance on June 4, 2019
Outdoor cooking and eating is much more inviting when the weather warms up. This month, let’s see what’s cooking when it comes to picnics, grilling, markets and farms.
Week 1: Picnic Ideas & Areas
How many of you have to work indoors but enjoy getting your vitamin D too? Incorporate some outdoor time during your workday by stepping away from your desk/office/workplace and eating lunch outside in nature. Here are some ideas to try:
- Check out our July 2018 Healthy Recipes & Tips article for picnic tips and recipes.
- Discover UBC Vancouver’s outdoor spaces – great for eating out or hanging out with colleagues.
- Additional spots at UBC Vancouver include the tables, benches or green spaces outside the Pharmaceutical Sciences building, the Nest, along Main Mall, and near the Forestry building and Reconciliation Pole.
- Discover UBC Okanagan’s outdoor spaces, including the Amphitheatre, Commons, and the Courtyard.
Week 2: Grilling 101
There are many benefits to grilling: it’s a simple, fast and low-fat cooking method that uses fresh ingredients and best of all, it’ll mean fewer dishes! Our June 2018 Healthy Recipes & Tips article offers a number of tasty ideas and options.
Week 3: Farmers’ Markets
Farmers’ markets are venues that increase food accessibility and where consumers have access to local, fresh and readily available produce. It’s also a great way to learn what foods are in season and connect with your community, nearby farmers and food providers. Whether you’re in Vancouver or the Okanagan, visit one of BC’s many farmers’ markets using the BC Farmers’ Market Trail resource.
Week 4: Explore the UBC Farm
The Centre for Sustainable Food Systems (CSFS) at UBC Farm in Vancouver is a research centre and local-to-global food hub working towards a more sustainable, food-secure future.
Throughout the growing season, the UBC Farm hosts three markets each week, including their Farm Gate Market on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and their farm markets outside the UBC Bookstore on Wednesdays. Check out the 2019 market calendar and visit a market for an opportunity to purchase fresh food right from the source.
Photo Credit: UBC Brand & Marketing
By Melissa Lafrance on June 5, 2018
It’s the time of year when we want to cook and eat outdoors. To kick off grilling season this June, we’re exploring grilling tips and tricks, as well as delicious recipes for complete meals. There are many benefits to grilling: it’s a simple, fast and low-fat cooking method that uses fresh ingredients and best of all, it’ll mean fewer dishes! Read on to learn more.
Week 1: Grilling 101
If you’re new to grilling, here are tricks and recipes to try:
- Simple tips for healthy grilling by Healthline
- A healthier way to grill by WebMD
- Optimize your gas grilling by The Spruce Eats
- 13 best grilling tips by EatingWell
- Easy grillable veggie burgers by Minimalist Baker
Week 2: Grillable Foods on a Stick
You can use reusable or wooden skewer sticks (soaked in water first to prevent burning) to prepare healthy meals that cook evenly and quickly. Try these mouth-watering skewer recipes:
Week 3: Foil Packet Meals
Foil packets allow you to easily steam-cook flavourful, portioned meals. Try these recipe ideas:
Week 4: Desserts
If you want to complete your meal with a dessert, try these sweet, grillable options from Delish:
- Grilled summer fruit skewers
- Chocolate marshmallow bananas
- Angel food cake with strawberries in balsamic
Looking for more ideas?
Each week in June, we will be sharing tips, tricks and recipes to help you create meals on the grill. Become a UBC Health Contact to receive weekly reminders.