By Melissa Lafrance on January 10, 2017
This month’s newsletter is all about helping you forge your path towards better physical health. UBC employees have access to a wide range of services, information, and perks to support your physical health.
Taking the time to improve our physical wellbeing is time well spent. Evidence shows that increasing physical activity by moving more and sitting less leads to many health benefits, including improved physical and mental health, a greater sense of social wellbeing, and reduced risk of many preventable diseases such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and mental illness.
Here are ways you can ramp up your physical wellbeing in 2017:
1. Book your appointment at the Travelling Health Fair
The much-anticipated Travelling Health Fair is coming up Feb. 21 – March 1 and available for all staff and faculty!
This year, we are focusing on diabetes. Join us to learn how to manage your blood sugar to lower your risk of developing diabetes. These sessions are open to everyone (those with or without diabetes or pre-diabetes).
Registration is now open. For more information or to reserve your appointment time, click here.
2. Join the Walkabout Feb. 16 – March 19
Registration is now open for the 11th annual Walkabout starting Jan. 16!
Walkabout is an annual nine-week health and wellbeing challenge promoting regular exercise in social settings. Everyone at UBC is welcome to create teams of five and or register as an individual and achieve personal and team goals for only $10/person.
Here’s how the Walkabout works:
- Form a team of 5 members. Individuals can also register and will be teamed up.
- Set overall team and individual goals for the 9-week Walkabout
- Register online at http://walkabout.educ.ubc.ca/
- Registration fee: $10/person (optional pedometer: $15)
- Record daily steps (or exercise equivalent steps) on the Walkabout tracking spreadsheet using pedometers/apps/Fitbits etc.
- At the end of each week, the total number of steps walked by the team are submitted through the website and the distance walked is calculated (1300 steps = 1KM)
3. Visit the Fitness Facilities on Campus
UBC Bodyworks Fitness Centre is offering a free trial of all classes Jan. 9 – 21. You can also use their facilities for $2 drop-in rate starting Jan. 4, Monday to Friday 1pm – 4pm. Check out their brochure for more information and class schedules.
UBC Recreation’s Free Week is coming up Jan. 9 – 15! Try out any instructor-led classes including yoga, Pilates, dances, boot camps and aquatics classes. View the schedule and plan your visit (first-come, first-served)!
4. Take Advantage of Health, Fitness, and Family Discounts
As a UBC employee, you and your family are eligible for many discounts at organizations on and off campus. Visit the Health, Fitness & Family Discounts page for a full list of offers or check out the ones highlighted below.
- Discounts at Student Recreation Centre and BirdCoop Fitness Centre
- UBC BodyWorks Fitness Centre offers personal training for as low as $37/session and memberships from as low as $35/month plus a 10% discount on annual Basic Memberships for UBC staff and faculty. Fitness Centre drop-ins are only $2/person from Mondays to Fridays between 1-4pm.
- Free month pass Jan. 15 – Feb. 15, 2017 and other discounts at Steve Nash Fitness Clubs
- Free trial pass and $17.99 bi-weekly for a 12-month membership at Gold’s Gym University Market Place
- 25% off adult Park Board Flexipasses at participating Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation facilities
- Take your first Hot Box Yoga class for free with your UBC employee ID card and get a monthly pass for $66/month
- 15% off YYoga 5-Class Pass, 10-Class Pass and Annual Pass
- 15% discount on monthly continuous memberships at the Richmond Olympic Oval
5. Walk around and Discover Campus
6. Fitting In Fitness Info Series
Find all the inspiration you need to improve your overall health with Fitting In Fitness! With tips and guides for heart-pumping workouts, improving your flexibility, strengthening your muscles and more, you’ll be able to fit fitness into your schedule.
7. Explore our Virtual Health Fair & Online Assessments
On the Virtual Health Fair webpage, you will find 20 different screenings, tools and resources to help you assess your current health status and make lifestyle impro