Studies show that our minds wander 46.5% of the time.1 With all the digital and life distractions around us, it’s not surprising that there’s greater focus on mindfulness practices.
A growing amount of research over the past 20 years has demonstrated the benefits of mindfulness for both physical and mental wellbeing. Whether you’re new to mindfulness, practicing already, or part of a department or unit looking for a team-building activity, everyone can benefit from this simple practice.
At UBC, you have the opportunity to explore mindfulness and enhance your wellbeing with the 30-Day Online Mindfulness Challenge. If you’re looking to improve your communication, boost your wellbeing and become better at managing stress, then this challenge is for you.
About the 30-Day Online Mindfulness Challenge
Available to all UBC staff, faculty and postdoctoral fellows at all campus locations, the 30-Day Online Mindfulness Challenge is a free, innovative and evidence-based program that encourages employees to incorporate mindfulness into the workplace, and in their everyday lives.
Through our collaboration with MindWellU, content is delivered via any online or mobile device and focuses on simple yet powerful and achievable learning objectives.
You can expect:
- 10 minutes per day of mindfulness training for 30 days
- Expert-led and evidence-based programming
- Online platform that can be used anywhere
- Free to join and includes participation of a buddy or colleague of your choice
- Open to all UBC staff and faculty (Vancouver and Okanagan campuses)
What previous participants say:
“Mindfulness practice helps reset my mind and have a clear perspective when I become unfocused or feel overwhelmed in the workplace.”
“The Take 5 mindfulness practice has become a regular part of how we begin team meetings. [It’s] helped us be more present, better listeners, engaged and resilient.”
“Taking the Challenge with a colleague was really helpful…having another person who understood the immediate benefits of practicing mindfulness…it kept us accountable.”
Here’s how you can participate in the 30-Day Mindfulness Challenge:
- View the online orientation video from MindWellU.
- Create your profile on the online hub using this UBC Vancouver and Okanagan staff and faculty link.
- Register for the 2019 Challenge (November 1-30). If these dates don’t work for you, sign up to start your mindfulness practice on any Tuesday.
1 Killingsworth MA, Gilbert DT. A Wandering Mind Is an Unhappy Mind. Science 12 November 2010: Vol. 330. no. 6006, p. 932