Looking to boost your endorphins, add more movement to your day or connect with your colleagues in a fun and active way? Participate in the 2019 Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge from June 17 – July 12.
Open to all UBC staff and faculty in the Okanagan and Vancouver, the Stair Challenge spans four weeks and is a free, easy, accessible way to get active or keep fit – no matter your motivation or ability. You can participate as an individual or make it social and register as a team. There will be weekly random prize draws, photo challenges, social meet-ups, and an overall prize for both the top team and top individual.
Register by June 12 at 4:00 p.m. For more information or accessible participation options, visit our Stair Challenge page.
How it works:
- Register as a team or as an individual and receive your registration package.
- Pick your peak based on your personal fitness goals. Choose from Diamond Head (232 metres) to Mount Everest (8,848 metres).
- Log your inclines, including the flights of stairs you climb indoor or outdoor and the elevation you gain during hikes, step classes and stair climbers. A Daily Step Tracker and Team Tracking Sheet are provided.
- Participate in the various activities for a chance to win prizes.
- Submit your grand totals at the end of the four weeks to see if you’ve captured the top individual or team prize!
If you’re unable to climb stairs, you can still participate and track points by converting your walking steps or wheelchair travel distance instead. Visit the website for full details.
Get Inspired by our 2018 Participants!
We had a terrific group of participants last year who decided to boost their wellbeing when they stepped up to the Stair Challenge. Here’s a summary of the benefits they gained:
- Top two reasons for participating: increased social connections and physical fitness
- Over 80% reported that the challenge contributed to their overall wellbeing as well as their physical fitness
- 83% of participants felt confident in their ability to embed active breaks into their day with some reporting a 42% increase in their stair climbing/physical activity after the challenge
Visit the Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge page for a photo gallery of last year’s participants and to learn more about this fun annual event for UBC faculty and staff.
Photo Credit: Martin Dee, UBC Brand & Marketing