Summer is here! What better way to enjoy the nice weather and nature than eating outside. To kick-off summer this July, we are exploring picnic ideas and tricks as well as delicious recipes for a nourishing and fun outdoor meal. Read on to learn more.
Let’s start with packaging and transport:
- Mason jars or repurposed glass jars are perfect for carrying liquids or anything that could potentially leak. If you are making a salad, try making one of these dressings in a jar recipes, or check out these 26 portioned meals in a jar.
- Opt for a reusable bag or basket instead of plastic bags. Check out this picnic packing list for ideas on what to bring.
Think finger foods and simple recipes:
It’s best to bring some water in a reusable water bottle, however if you are looking for a cool summer beverage idea, try:
- Making your own no-sugar-added iced tea
- Jazzing up your water using fruits, vegetables and herbs with these flavoured water recipes
Let’s look at picnic spots, food safety, and public spaces for outdoor BBQs:
- Visit the City of Vancouver’s picnics in Vancouver’s parks page for details on reserving designated picnic spots for large groups, potential fees, permits and guidelines.
- Be sure to read up on food safety guidelines and tips during the summer.
- If you need recipe ideas for your next summer BBQ cookout or picnic, check out this collection of summer BBQ picnic foods made healthier.
- Remember to leave the picnic area as clean as – or even cleaner than – when you arrived. Be sure to clean up and dispose of your food scraps and garbage appropriately. If there are no disposal bins, take the garbage with you and dispose of it properly.
Other Picnic Ideas
Become a UBC Health Contact
Each week in July, we will be sharing tips, tricks and information for the summer picnic season. To receive weekly reminders or for more information on how you can promote health and wellbeing at UBC, sign up to be a UBC Health Contact.