Emotional Intelligence is the capability of individuals to recognize emotions, both their own and those of others. Having a high level of emotional intelligence can help us in understanding and addressing emotional reactions, to better guide your thinking and behaviour. Emotional intelligence is one key to helping us achieve happiness and overall wellbeing.
Happiness is more than a frame of mind. A positive frame of mind has been proven to have a direct relationship to good health. Learn about the power of laughter and being grateful, about taking time for yourself, and tools you can use to become happier. Read more.
If you are a manager or people leader, learn how you can manage with emotional intelligence.
Learning Opportunities for Emotional Intelligence
There are a number of learning opportunities for UBC faculty and staff that can help you explore emotional intelligence as it relates to your career and leadership success.
UBC Continuing Studies
UBC Continuing Studies has courses and programs for individuals to explore their emotional intelligence (EQ) as it influences career success. Check out the online EQ assessments and in-person EQ courses at https://cstudies.ubc.ca/study-topic/interpersonal-communication-skills/emotional-intelligence.
You may be able to use your tuition waivers (staff only) or PD funds to pay for UBC Continuing Studies courses. Visit http://www.hr.ubc.ca/wellbeing-benefits/benefits/details/professional-development/ for full information.
Learning with Lynda.com
Lynda.com has many online courses that focus on emotional intelligence and leadership, which UBC faculty and staff can view for free. Here are a few short videos that can help you explore the concept of emotional intelligence:
- What is emotional intelligence? (4:33m): https://www.lynda.com/Business-Skills-tutorials/What-emotional-intelligence/124087/144436-4.html?org=ubc.ca
- Appreciating emotional intelligence (4:28m): https://www.lynda.com/Business-Skills-tutorials/Appreciating-emotional-intelligence/137886/151208-4.html?org=ubc.ca
- Cultivating emotional intelligence (5:21m): https://www.lynda.com/Business-Skills-tutorials/Cultivating-emotional-intelligence/122471/139734-4.html?org=ubc.ca
Visit http://lynda.ubc.ca to learn more about UBC faculty and staff access to Lynda.com.
Benefits to Support your Emotional Wellbeing
If you are enrolled in the UBC Extended Health plan, you can be 100% reimbursed up to a maximum of $2500 for each person per benefit year, for counselling services from a Licensed Psychologist, Registered Social Worker or a Registered Clinical Counsellor.
UBC’s EFAP provider, Shepell, offers counselling services for you and your dependents for the following topics:
- Any mental health concern including depression, anxiety, addiction and more
- Stress & resiliency
- Bullying & abuse
- Family concerns (communication, parenting, dynamics, and more)
- Workplace communication or conflicts
To get started with Shepell’s Support Services, call 1-800-387-4765 or browse their available services online.
EFAP Health Coaching
UBC’s Employee & Family Assistance Program provider, Shepell, can help you understand health issues and concerns in addition to helping you make the changes needed to be well.
There are many ways to get help today – all completely confidential. Shepell’s Health Coaches are Registered Nurses and Occupational Health Nurses who offer practical, personalized support for health issues:
- Smoking cessation – via EFAP’s Stop Smoking Centre
- Weight management
- Healthy eating – via EFAP Nutrition Support led by Registered Dietitians
- Stress management
- Exercise as a component of a healthy lifestyle
- Health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol
UBC offers a range of programs and services in support of mental health, all of which are free to access. Explore the range of mental health resources available for staff and faculty.
To get started with Shepell’s Health Coaching, call 1-800-387-4765 or browse their available services online.