A new school year is here, and as staff and faculty, we may be experiencing a realm of emotions that comes with it. Some days, we can feel excited and joyful, other days we may be anxious and downright stressed! As we bid farewell to another summer and move into the autumn, check out the helpful resources you can use to better manage stress.
UBC’s Employee & Family Assistance Program is here to support you and your eligible dependants with the following services:
- Stress Coach Connects
- Interactive online program to help you assess, understand, and manage stress
- Effective stress management tools with progress, mood, and stress level tracking; goal setting and action tools, helpful resources, thoughtful journaling, and life support anytime via online chat
- Anxiety Support Group
- Private and secure online support group led by a counsellor
- Access to real-time interaction with a counsellor and other group members (from outside UBC)
- Group work that includes in-session online activities, homework and self-guided learning modules
- Counselling for a variety of work, health, and life challenges
- Confidential short-term one-on-one counselling
- Counselling services include but are not limited to: issues related to personal/emotional (stress, anxiety, depression), couple/relationship (communication, separation/divorce), family (parenting, elder care), work (workplace violence/harassment and conflicts), and addiction
- Variety of delivery methods to best suit your needs including over the phone, in person, email, secure video chat, and more
To access these services, contact Shepell:
- Call the Care Access Centre at 1-800-387-4765
- Visit the Shepell website
Counselling Services Coverage through Extended Health Benefits
UBC’s Extended Health plan provides coverage for counselling services and testing. To find out more details regarding referrals, services and claims, refer to our Benefits FYI article on Counselling Services Benefits.
Personal & Professional Development Opportunities for Stress & Time Management
- Health and Wellbeing Workshops
- Professional Development Workshops at UBC
- Stress Strategies: A web-based decision making tool to assess stressors and assist in developing an action plan for reducing and managing stress is all aspects of life.
- Stress 101: Learn more about the stress response and how to cope with stress in daily life.
- Mindful Moments: mindfulness and meditation practices, information and research.
- Free Financial support available for UBC staff & faculty
- Workplace Stress Busting Tips
- Understanding Stress