For many people, balancing life at home and at work can have its ups and downs. Those who have children at home while working may find life particularly hectic: scheduling children’s activities, planning for family time, and still allowing some you-time can seem impossible.
For some, life is further complicated by needing to provide care to aging parents or relatives. At UBC, we recognise that many demands exist outside of the workplace for staff and faculty, particularly when it comes to looking after our elders. UBC’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) has resources to assist you and your family in navigating elder care and caregiver support.
Elder Care Resources at UBC
Homewood Health, UBC’s EFAP provider, has an online database to help you conduct your own customised search for elder care resources – you can search for providers who offer homecare assessments, long-term facilities, assistive care facilities, and facilities geared toward specific health care needs or cultural preferences of your family member. UBC staff and faculty also have access to Homewood Health’s free online Busy Family for Seniors toolkit. The toolkit provides:
- A resource and financial services locator;
- An “ask an expert” function, informative articles and links to research;
- Roadmaps for services based on need (e.g., in home, residential facilities or community based);
- Comprehensive quality of service checklists for hired providers; and
- A family needs inventory to help organize priorities and concerns.
Want to know more?
Come to Healthy UBC’s free workshop “Elder care 101 – What You Need to Know to Care for Your Aging Parents“on Sept. 23, 2014, 12-1pm.(Register online)
New name, same great servicesUBC’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) provider Homewood Human Solutions has changed its name to Homewood Health. While their name has changed, their services and contact information remain the same. The website can still be reached at www.homewoodhumansolutions.com
- The phone number remains 1-800-663-1142 (toll- free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
All Counselling, Plansmart and Online services continue as before.