Using your benefits to take your health to the next level
This article discusses 12 Weeks to Wellness, a self-directed program offered to UBC staff, faculty and dependents enrolled in the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) offering consultation with a weight loss and behaviour change consultant
Recent Canadian studies have shown that up to half of the burden of medical costs could be prevented by changes in personal lifestyle. In particular, physical activity has the potential to reduce both acute and chronic demands on the healthcare system, with a reduction in employee turnover and absence, an increase in productivity, a reduction in absenteeism, and a decreased risk of industrial injury. (Source: Preventing and Managing Chronic Disease, 2007).
12 Weeks to Wellness
If you are interested in improving your lifestyle, we encourage you to explore UBC’s 12-Weeks to Wellness Program . It is a self-directed program facilitated through UBC’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) provider Homewood Human Solutions, which offers a comprehensive approach to behaviour change. You will have access to life coaching, nutritional counselling, and a health risk assessment over the 12-week period.
The Path to Success
The 12 Weeks to Wellness program works by focusing on three areas, to help the participant achieve their best. These areas are:
- Whole-person, whole-body approach: Participants are given an opportunity to take a holistic approach to improve their health and wellness. In addition, participants can focus on their health change efforts on specific areas of need, as identified in their health risk assessment.
- Consultative support: The program helps participants to develop new ways of thinking and working through behavioral changes with a one-on-one consultation.
- Self-help materials: Participants can access online health libraries containing articles and resource materials related to health and wellness. The below support materials are also provided.
- The 12 Weeks to Wellness Workbook
- A CD that complements the workbook chapters to enhance week-to-week changes
- Optional nutritional counselling
- Stress Map (self-assessment stress management tool)
- A consultation with a weight loss and behaviour change consultant
One call is all it takes to get started.
Getting started is simple. Call Homewood Human Solutions’ Client Services Centre toll-free on 1.800.663.1142. You will be asked some basic questions to make sure you receive the customized service that will be most helpful for you. They then will arrange for a 12 Weeks to Wellness expert to set you up with a health risk assessment, coaching, counselling and personal training. Finally, you then receive all your self-help material and you are ready to go!
Remember if you ever feel overwhelmed or stressed out by the challenges you face in life, you can easily access counselling (face-to- face, over the phone, or through the internet) from Homewood Human Solutions.
The information you share with UBC’s EFAP provider is confidential, and is not shared with UBC. The University is not told the identity of those using EFAP services, including online services.
Want to know more?
For more information on your Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), visit our website here. If you would like to book a presentation for your unit to review the free EFAP services available for UBC staff and faculty, contact Colin Hearne, EFAP Assistant, at 604.827.3047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.