The events that triggered the on-going protests against anti-Black racism across the world have left my heart heavy over the past few weeks. In Vancouver and across Canada, we have witnessed an increase in anti-Asian violence and the continued oppression of Indigenous people. As a racialized person, it is hard to verbalize the encompassing feelings and emotions of the moment. In this moment of collective consciousness, we need to educate ourselves on the histories, events and stories that impact our workplaces and lives as a result of systemic racism and colonialism, and act for change.
June is a National Indigenous History Month, celebrating First Nations, Inuit, and Métis people across Turtle Island. It is an opportunity to recognize the strength of Indigenous communities and their knowledge, histories, languages, cultural practices and beliefs. It provides a time to reflect on our ongoing roles and responsibility towards truth and reconciliation and its intersections with our own practices. June is also Pride Month, to commemorate Stonewall Uprising in 1969 which signified the symbolic start of the gay rights movement and LGBTQ+ activism. Many people who identify as Trans women of colour and people of colour played a crucial role in initiating this movement. This is the time to reflect on the progress that has been made and to ensure that the progress continues.
My hope is that we move beyond declarations of acknowledgment and together find practical and tangible ways we can confront racism in the workplace and wider community.
In this issue of Healthy UBC learn how to foster your mental health through food, good sleep habits, social connections and exercise. For this and more, read on.
Learn more by perusing these resources:
- Vancouver Public Library: A Gathering of Indigenous Storytellers, Jun. 18, 3:00 – 4:30 pm https://www.facebook.com/events/582724445695101/
- UBC Equity & Inclusion Office: Solidarity & Action: Five Tips on Tackling Racism
- Learn more about Musqueam, on whose unceded territory UBC lies: https://www.musqueam.bc.ca/our-story/who-we-are/
- Draft Indigenous Strategic Plan: https://indigenous.ubc.ca/indigenous-engagement/indigenous-strategic-plan/
- To find out which Indigenous territory you are located on: https://native-land.ca/
- ca: Indigenous History Month
- CBC .ca: 108 Indigenous writers to read
- BCcampus Indigenization Guides: https://bccampus.ca/projects/indigenization/indigenization-guides/
- Indigenous Art Series at UBC: https://students.ubc.ca/ubclife/series/indigenous-art-series
- UBC Indigenous Portal: https://indigenous.ubc.ca/
Image: Rawpixel.com id-2407577-j