Encouraging health and wellbeing in the workplace and beyond.
The Workplace Health Services (WHS) and Health, Wellbeing and Benefits (HWB) teams are actively involved in the creation of a safe community that encourages employee health. Our commitment to employee health is part of the larger university goal to create an outstanding work environment as outlined in the UBC Strategic Plan, as well as the UBC Focus on People strategy to develop a sustainable, healthy workplace.
Health is supported by an active, lifelong process of making positive choices and decisions that lead to a balanced and fulfilling life.
Creating and sustaining this type of environment involves building awareness, encouraging healthy behaviours and engagement in positive social communities to support overall health.
The role of our units in this process is to:
- lead University-wide health and wellness initiatives
- facilitate stay at work and the early return to productive work of injured and ill workers
- prevent and reduce the severity of musculoskeletal injuries of employees through targeted interventions
- manage the post-injury administrative claims procedure involving WorkSafeBC
- provide assistance for those individuals with long-term disabilities requiring access to the Income Replacement Plan (IRP) and the Disability Benefit Plan (DBP)
- administer targeted medical services to employees whose work involves risk of exposure to biological, chemical and physical hazards