Self-Service Portal for Faculty & Staff

Faculty, staff, and student employees can update and view their personal and payroll information in a highly secure and real-time environment using our self-service web portal. Users log in using their Campus Wide Login (CWL) ID.

Within the portal, there are a number of features (see below). The tools and applications within this portal will help reduce the dependence on cumbersome, paper-based processes, improve efficiencies, and give faculty and staff direct control over their important, confidential, and personal information, including the ability to:

  • View employee-wide announcements
  • View and update personal information
  • View prior and current paycheque(s)
  • View benefit enrolments, beneficiaries, and dependents
  • View compensation history
  • View basic pension information and estimate your yearly pension contributions and retirement income
  • Access and complete confidential university-wide surveys
  • Register for select professional development courses and view professional development funds
  • If you’re on an interview/selection team, review applicant data and resumes
  • Apply for a UBC job opening

Features of the Self-Service Portal

We’ve provided an overview of the many tools you will find inside the portal and FAQs for each section.

myMessages: Read important employee-wide announcements relating to your pay, benefits, Canada Savings Bonds or system outages.
mySurveys: Access and complete important university-wide surveys, including our Entrance survey (to be completed within the first six months of employment at UBC), Employment Equity Census survey (to be completed as soon as you’re hired) and Exit survey (upon leaving the university).
myPersonal Info: Update your personal contact information, including your phone, email and emergency contacts. For faculty members, this section also includes the Faculty Board Notice.
myPD and Learning: View your Professional Development Fund balance information (for eligible employee groups and Faculty members). View course history or register for a UBC workplace learning workshop.
myPay: Access your payroll information including viewing your current and prior paycheques, downloading your year-end T4s, viewing your annual myTotal Compensation statement and using the myExpenses feature to see if your expense claim has been reimbursed.
myRecruitment: Access applicant data and review resumes for job openings for which you are an interview/selection team member.
myBenefits: View your benefit enrolments, beneficiaries, coverage amounts and access your myPension information.  Create and update an online UBC tuition waiver request, view waiver history and your remaining balance.
myCareer Apply for UBC job openings and view your application status.

Security Measures & Privacy Concerns

The Faculty and Staff Self-Service Application employs all existing industry security standards to safeguard the privacy and security of your personal and payroll information. This includes password protection, encryption, and firewalls.

To prevent someone from looking over your shoulder and viewing sensitive information, bank account numbers have been masked to display partial information, and Social Insurance Numbers are not displayed.

This application will provide real-time access to personal information. By sharing your Campus Wide Login (CWL) ID and password with others, they are now able to view and update your personal information. We do not recommend sharing your CWL ID with others, or alternately, you may wish to create a second CWL ID to be used only by you when accessing the Self-Service Web Application.

To preserve the security and confidentiality of your CWL ID and password, please refer to Policy SC14 – Information Systems (formerly Policy #104) for reference.

Getting Started

Log on to the Self-Service Web Application and view and update your personal, payroll, and benefits information in one centralized, secure, web portal.

Self Service requires you to apply for a CWL ID (if you don’t already have one). You can apply for a CWL ID from any location – campus or off-campus.  If you wish to access self-service from off-campus, please also read the VPN instructions once you have successfully applied for a CWL ID.

To apply for a CWL ID,  you’ll need some basic personal identification: Employee ID (from your pay stub or cheque), birth date and PIN from your Administrator. If you have any problems signing up for CWL, CWL assistance is available.

Need Help?

The Self-Service application is fairly intuitive. However, if you have questions or encounter a problem:

Faculty & Staff Self-Service FAQs

Find answers to your frequently asked questions here about the faculty and staff self-service online application. If you don’t see the answer to your question below, please email us at and we’ll respond or post your question and our answer here.

Campus Wide Login (CWL) FAQs

Q: Where can I sign up for a CWL ID?

If you currently do not have a CWL ID, or are unfamiliar with it, we encourage you to visit the Campus Wide Login website to find out more and sign up as soon as possible.

Q: I have more than one CWL ID – which one do I use to access self-service?

For those who have multiple CWL IDs, you will need to designate one CWL ID for self-service.  Once this is done, none of your other existing CWL IDs, or any new ones you create, will be able to access self-service.  If you are unsure as to which CWL ID to use to access self-service, please contact IT Services

Q: I applied for a CWL ID some time ago and I no longer remember my ID or password?

If you have forgotten your CWL ID, or your password, please visit the IT Services website.

General Self-Service FAQs

Q: Can I use self-service on campus?

Yes.  Any location that has access to the university network can access Self-Service.  This includes offices, libraries, the Student Union Building, etc. and virtually any other campus location.  This includes both campuses (Vancouver and Okanagan) and Robson Square.

Q: Will I be able to access this application off-campus or using wireless?

Generally, the answer to this question is ‘Yes’.  However, a small piece of additional work is required.  If you’ve tried self-service as per previous instructions, and it doesn’t work, then you will need to install Virtual Private Network (VPN) software on your computer.

IT Services offers free Virtual Private Network (VPN) services to protect data as it travels between your computer and UBC.  Using VPN increases security.  The self-service application requires that all faculty and staff use the VPN service when connecting to the UBC network from a non-campus site or when using wireless.

UBC offers two VPN services – VPN Vancouver and VPN Okanagan. The VPN service used will be based on campus location and the type of service you wish to access.

To access UBC’s VPN service, you must configure your computer to use one or both of UBC’s VPN Services. To do so, you will also need a Campus Wide Login (CWL) account. Once you have your CWL account, you can configure your computer for the appropriate VPN service – visit the IT Services site for step-by-step VPN instructions.

Note: If you work at a medical centre or hospital, VPN services may be blocked by your firewall. If you install VPN software and still have problems, please contact the IT department at your worksite and provide them with the self-service web-site address. In some cases, VPN service from a medical or hospital location may not be possible.  If this is the case, please try accessing self-service from a computer at another location (e.g. home).

Q: What are the browser requirements to run the self-service application?

The self-service application runs on specific browser/operating system combinations.  Please make sure your browser is compatible.

Q: What are the benefits to using this self-service application?

Highlights of this new service provide for the updating and viewing of personal information in a highly secure and real-time environment, providing Faculty and Staff with direct control over important, personal information.

Q: How far back can I view my pay history online?

Faculty, staff, and student employees will be able to view their paycheques on-line back to 2001, and their compensation history (pay rate changes) back to 1992.

Q: Will this self-service online application mean that we will no longer receive our Pay Advice stubs?

Faculty, staff, and student employees will continue to receive their paper Pay Advice stubs until such time as this web-based self-service becomes widely adopted. Paper pay advices will eventually be discontinued at a future date to be determined.

Q: When I print my Pay Advice, it spans multiple pages. How can I compress this information to one page?

There are two options to compress your Pay Advice when printing to a home or office printer:

1. You can reduce/adjust the top, bottom, and side margins on the Page Set-up menu prior to printing, OR

2. Collapse the menu bar on the left side of the Pay Advice page to reduce the information to print.

Note: If you are using an off-site computer connected to the campus network, you may want to ensure you are printing to a local printer, and not a campus printer. You don’t want personal information to be left for all to see.

Q: What happens when I resign or retire – am I still able to access this the Faculty and Staff Self Service application?

You will be able to access self-service features for 18 months following your last day of work at UBC.

Q: Who do I contact if I am still encountering difficulties in accessing the application or need assistance with troubleshooting?

Contact our Help Desk at and let us know how we can help you.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.