Leaving UBC: A Checklist

Whether your appointment has come to an end or you are resigning, this checklist  will help you remember all the details to do before leaving UBC.

  1. Give adequate notice that you are leaving UBC (see below).
  2. Take care of any outstanding benefits claims and familiarize yourself with what happens to your benefits when you leave the University.
  3. Look into your options with the pension plan — either the Staff Pension Plan or the Faculty Pension Plan.
  4. Take into account your unused vacation time (see below).
  5. Complete the online Exit Survey, which can be accessed through the Faculty / Staff Self-Service Centre portal (in the HRMS Self-Service tab).
  6. Return your keys to the Parking & Access Control Office.
  7. Return any other University property in your possession (see below).
  8. Complete a Request for Information form [monthly | hourly] to get a copy of your Record of Employment (ROE).
  9. Ensure UBC Payroll has your current home address for your T4 slip and any other paperwork.
  10. Ensure all UBC credit cards are cancelled and outstanding balances are cleared.

Faculty and staff who are leaving UBC are encouraged to use the Departure Form to ensure an orderly transition.

If you are leaving UBC for any reason after age 55, you may be eligible for the Retirement and Survivor Benefits Program.

Giving Notice When Leaving UBC

When ending your time at UBC, you are required to give your employer notice of your departure. The length of the notice time varies according to your employment group.

If you give less notice than required, your department may choose to withhold some of the vacation that you are owed as per your employment group’s handbook or agreement.

  • CUPE 2950: 10 working days
  • CUPE 116 (staff employees): 1 month
  • CUPE 116 (hourly employees with more than 3 months of continuous service): 1 week
  • M&P: 1 month
  • Non Union Technicians: 3 weeks
  • Executive Administrative Staff: 3 weeks

Unused Vacation

If you have accumulated vacation time left over when you leave UBC, you’ll be paid out for it, either on your last paycheque or by printed cheque. If you take any vacation days in your last pay period, these will be deducted.

(If you give less notice than required, your department may choose to withhold some of the vacation that you are owed.)

For more information, contact your department administrator, or refer to your collective agreement or employee group handbook.

Returning UBC Property

When you are leaving UBC, all University property in your possession should be returned to your department administrator or manager on your last day of work.

University property includes (but is not limited to):

  • equipment, such as hardware or software
  • credit cards or P-Cards
  • security pass cards
  • uniforms

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.