See SAC Guide to Reappointment, Tenure, and Promotion at UBC 2016/2017. You may also want to refer to the Summary of Revisions for SAC Guide 2016/2017.
For specific guidelines on the streamlined process for new senior appointments, visit section 8 of the SAC Guide linked to above.
- Promotion to Professor of Teaching
- Tenure, Promotion & Reappointment Schedules
The criteria and procedures for tenure, promotion and reappointment reviews are detailed in the Agreement on Conditions of Appointment for Faculty. In particular, the criteria are set out in Articles 3 and 4 and are summarized in the documents below:
- The Professoriate Stream: Criteria for Tenure and Promotion
- The Educational Leadership Stream: Criteria for Tenure and Promotion
The procedures for tenure, promotion and reappointment reviews are detailed in Articles 5 and 9 of the Agreement on Conditions of Appointment for Faculty.
The SAC Guide to Reappointment, Tenure, and Promotion at UBC 2016/2017 outlines, in further detail, the procedures for tenure, promotion and reappointment at UBC, including new and joint appointments. It is intended to summarize and supplement the Agreement on Conditions of Appointment for Faculty. The substance of this document has been agreed to by the Senior Appointments Committee and the Committee of Deans at both UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan. The goal is to maintain high standards for tenure and promotion, to apply these standards fairly, and to handle cases as expeditiously as possible. A list of significant changes that were made to the guide this year is available.
The documents provided below or referenced in the Guide might also be helpful. All documents are up to date, unless otherwise noted.
- Tenure Stream Ranks at a Glance
- Tenure and Promotion Summary Map
- Tenure and Promotion Checklist for Heads and Directors
- Reappointment Checklist for Heads and Directors
- Memorandum of Agreement re Review for Promotion at UBC Okanagan in 2015/16
- Eligibility to be Consulted
- Sample Department ARPT Procedures Version #1
- Sample Department ARPT Procedures Version #2
- Promotion Reviews for Faculty
Letters of Reference Material
- Letters of Reference Chart
- Excerpt from the Agreement for Professors
- Excerpt from the Agreement for Associate Professors
- Excerpt from the Agreement for Assistant Professors
- Excerpt from the Agreement for Professors of Teaching
- Excerpt from the Agreement for Senior Instructors
Senior Appointments Committee
Effective July 1, 2011, the rank of Professor of Teaching has been introduced into the teaching stream. This new rank reflects the commitment of the University to provide educational leadership, outstanding teaching, and curriculum development, and to recognize and reward it when it happens. The rank is new and while the criteria are in place there has been no experience in interpreting and applying those criteria.
Please review the Guidelines for Promotion to Professor of Teaching. They are provided to offer assistance in helping faculty and academic units anticipate what is expected of the new rank, both in terms of meeting the criteria and understanding the procedures for review for promotion to the rank of Professor of Teaching.
The timing of a faculty member’s regular reviews for tenure, promotion and reappointment will depend on their appointment and rank. For example, see the sample schedule for reappointment, tenure, and promotion.
The following sets out the tenure clocks:
|Rank||Mandatory Tenure Year|
|Assistant Professor||Year 7|
|Associate Professor and Full Professor||Year 5*|
|Senior Instructor and Professor of Teaching||Year 5*|
*Tenure track Associate Professors, Professors, Senior Instructors and Professors of Teaching are normally expected to be reviewed for tenure by end of the 3rd year; however, if s/he is reappointed, the mandatory tenure review must take place in year 5.
Please note that tenure clock extensions may be possible.
The following sets out the mandatory promotion review schedules:
|Rank||Mandatory Promotion Review|
|Assistant Professor||Year 7|
|Associate Professor and Full Professor||Year 5|
|Senior Instructor and Professor of Teaching||Year 5|
Note that optional reviews for promotion may be conducted in accordance with Part 4: Conditions of Appointment for Faculty.
Finally, the following sets out the reappointment review schedules for tenure stream faculty hired on or after July 1, 2017.
|Rank||Reappointment Review Year|
|Assistant Professor||Year 4|
The following templates are designed to help you identify the review dates for tenure track positions. All documents are up to date, unless otherwise noted.
- Assistant Professor (Tenure Track)
- Acting Assistant Professor (Tenure Track)
- Associate Professor (Tenure Track)
- Senior Instructor (Tenure Track)
- Instructor (Tenure Track)
Departments are required to track the timing of their faculty member’s regular review for tenure, promotion and reappointment. For more information, view a sample schedule for a tenure track Assistant Professor.
Faculty Relations holds annual workshops on tenure and promotion procedures for faculty and administrators at the Vancouver Campus. Human Resources does the same at the Okanagan Campus.
- For Faculty Workshops, invitations will be sent to all Faculty members each year when the date and location have been determined. The most recent faculty workshop Powerpoint presentation can be viewed here (Research Stream) or here (Educational Leadership Stream).
- For Heads and administrators, the most recent Tenure and Promotion workshop for Heads and Administrators can be viewed here.