Offer letters are required for all faculty positions, whether paid or unpaid, including honorary and visiting appointees. Offer letters constitute a binding contract between the faculty member and the University, and detail expectations and commitments of both parties. A signed offer letter must be included with every faculty appointment form for every faculty position at UBC.
Offers of reappointment must also be in writing. This provides clarification for all parties whether the terms and conditions of the previous appointment continue in the new appointment, or whether there are changes.
To assist in preparing offer letters for your newly recruited faculty members or reappointment letters for existing appointees, we have a number of template letters for various ranks (updated January 2012). Note that in accordance with Signing Resolution 14, offers of employment to faculty members may only be made by the Head of the Academic Unit. We welcome your feedback on these templates.
The following templates are in Word format to allow editing and saving for future reference. If you need any assistance with preparing offer letters, please contact a Senior Manager (UBCV) or the Director of Human Resources (UBCO). **Please ensure that you provide the candidate sufficient time to sign within the offer date stated at the end of the offer letter; if the candidate’s signature is after this period, the contract will not be valid.
For Tenure Stream positions in the Faculty Association:
Important – Please Read:
Changes have been made to the procedures and documentation for review of Tenure stream offer letters.
Information on the changes at UBCV are found here.
Instructions and the offer letter template for UBCO Okanagan is found below:
For term positions in the Faculty Association:
Please review the Instructions for Offer Letters for term positions.
- Faculty Members
- Sessional Lecturers
- General Librarians
For other faculty term positions:
- Research Associates
- Postdoctoral Fellows
- Postdoctoral Fellow Welcome Letter – Please attach to the end of every Postdoctoral Fellow offer letter (UBC Vancouver only)
- Postdoctoral Fellows (1 year appointments 50% or greater) and (appointments less than 50% or less than 1 year)
- Postdoctoral Fellows (Fellowship Earnings)
- Honorary Postdoctoral Fellows (including Non-University Funds)
- Postdoctoral Teaching Fellows
- Honorary Faculty Appointments
Please review the Instructions for Administrative Appointment Offer Letters.
Please review the Instructions for Reappointment Letters.
Sessional Lecturer Reappointments
- Sessional Lecturers (with at least 4 month appointments 50% or greater)
- Sessional Lecturers (with appointments less than 50% and/or less than 4 months)
- Sessional Lecturers with summer appointments
Generic Reappointment Letter Templates